Toronto, Ontario, Canada 1915-1948.
Classification: Employee or Independent Contractor
Founded in 1915 in Toronto by Charles Franklin Legge (organist, b St Catharines, Ont, 21 Dec 1891, d Toronto 18 Feb 1948), the firm installed its first instruments in Chapleau in northern Ontario and in Williamsburg near Ottawa.
In 1919 William F. Legge joined the firm, and a factory was built on Dufferin Street in Toronto. There, more than 250 instruments of two to four manuals were designed and built for buyers in North and South America. Almost entirely enclosed, the Legge organs used all-electric action and English-style diapasons and reeds.
The C. Franklin Legge Organ Co ceased operation in 1947, and its service contracts were assumed by the T. Eaton Co in 1948. At about that time, however, William Legge, briefly in Eaton's employ, formed in Woodstock, Ont, the William F. Legge Organ Co, which was purchased (1963) by C.F. David Legge, son of C. Franklin, and continued as the Legge Organ Co. In 1991 the Legge Organ Co continued to operate in Toronto, doing renovations and repairs but not building any new instruments.
From the OHS PC Database, derived from A Guide to North American Organbuilders, by David H. Fox (Richmond, Va.: Organ Historical Society, 1991). —
Born 21 December 1891 in St. Catherines, Canada; father of C. F. David Legge; organist; established firm in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, 1915; operated branch shop in St. Hyacinthe, Québec, Canada, 1946; died 18 February 1948; succeeded by T. Eaton Co.
Staff: Rolland Blanchard; A. Chagnon; William F. Legge; E. F. Walcker.
We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on September 20, 2019.