Boston, Massachusetts, ca. 1881; Kendall Green, Massachusetts, 1889-1935.
The following note is from a previous version of this entry; it has been superseded by the note above, which contains new information or corrects errors or inaccuracies.
Begin archived note From the OHS PC Database, derived from A Guide to North American Organbuilders, by David H. Fox (Richmond, Va., Organ Historical Society, 1991). -
Succeeded E. & G. G. Hook; established by Elias Hook, George G. Hook and Frank Hastings in Boston, MA, 1872; firm headed by Hastings after 1881 as Hook & Hastings; relocated to Kendal Green, MA, 1889; incorporated, 1895; liquidated, 1936.
For further information see E. & G. G. Hook & Hastings
We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 29, 2019.
Note from the Organ Database Builders editor Stephen Hall, May 27, 2017. -
The original firm was established by Elias and George G. Hook in Salem, Massachusetts, 1827 as E. & G. G. Hook; they relocated to Boston, Massachusetts, 1831. The firm became E. & G. G. Hook & Hastings in 1872 as Elias Hook and George G. Hook took Frank Hastings as a full partner; after the Hook brothers retired, the firm was headed by Hastings. In 1881, Hastings shortened the name to Hook & Hastings. Hastings relocated to Kendal Green, Massachusetts, in 1889; where he built not only a new factory, but housing for his workers in a bid to create a utopian community. The firm was incorporated in 1895; it closed in 1935 and the assets were liquidated in 1936.