Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada from ca. 1950
From The Canadian Encyclopedia (http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/g-herald-keefer-emc/):
"G. Herald Keefer. Organist, organ builder, composer, b Vancouver 12 Apr 1919; honorary PH D (Somerset, England) 1985. He received his early choir training in Vancouver under Frederick Robinson. During World War II, while serving as a radio instructor in the RCAF in Montreal, he studied organ and choir directing with John Weatherseed. After the war Keefer returned to Vancouver as organist of St Philip's Anglican Church and director of its boys' choir. He continued his organ studies under Richard T. Bevan and later with Leonard Wilson, who in 1957 commissioned him to build (for Wilson's studio) the first baroque organ in western Canada. While he was serving as secretary of the Vancouver Centre of the RCCO, his contacts with visiting organists (eg, E. Power Biggs) led to a serious interest in organ building. In 1957, at the International Congress of Organ Builders in Holland, he gathered important ideas from such builders as Dirk Flentrop and Henry Willis. Largely self-taught, Keefer, with his associate Dennis Connorton, began building and rebuilding organs under the company name of G. Herald Keefer and Associate. Between 1959 and 1979 the two built over 20 pipe organs for customers on the west coast of the USA and Canada."