The building was assembled in 1844 after its removal from Wall Street in Manhattan, after previously serving the First Presbyterian Church of New York City. First Presbyterian in NYC wished to relocate from its property on Wall Street to a new structure on Fifth Avenue and Twelfth Street, and use the proceeds from the sale of the property, which brought $148,000, to build the new church. The Jersey City congregation desired a building of its own. Negotiations between the two proceeded and were completed by the presidents of the two church boards of trustees on July 10, 1844. The sale of the building was set at $3000 and included "iron railing, stone wall, coping, flagging, fixtures of the church, stoves, cushions, lamps, chandeliers, and carpets" (Heck). Former Jersey City Mayor Dudley S. Gregory and local manufacturer David Henderson, both church trustees, assisted with the financing of the sale.
White case 20' high, 16' wide, 12' deep. Compass 54/25. Installed some years ago.