Pipe Organ Database

a project of the organ historical society

Wm. King (& Son) (1891)

Location:

St. Matthew's Lutheran Church
628 N Broad St.
Philadelphia, PA 19130 US
Sanctuary; front
Organ ID: 10572

Update This Entry

Status and Condition:

  • This instrument's location type is: Lutheran Churches
  • The organ has been rebuilt or substantially revised.
  • The organ's condition is unknown.
We received the most recent update for this instrument's status from Jim Stettner on May 02, 2022.

Technical Details:

  • Chests: Slider
  • 36 ranks. 3 manuals.
All:
  • Chest Type(s): Slider chests
We received the most recent update for this division from Database Manager on May 13, 2018.
Main:
  • Manuals: 3
  • Position: Keydesk attached.
  • Key Action: Mechanical connection from key to chest (tracker, sticker or mix).
We received the most recent update for this console from Database Manager on May 13, 2018.
Paul R. Marchesano on March 02, 2021:

Electrified by F.A. Bartholomay & Sons around 1924 with numerous tonal changes. In 1964 the Mudler-Hunter Company of Philadelphia rebuilt the organ again with major tonal changes. -- excerpted from 1996 OHS COnvention Handbook

We received the most recent update for this note from Paul R. Marchesano on March 02, 2021.

Database Manager on October 30, 2004:

An original installation of a new pipe organ. -- The organ has since been electrified; most recent rebuild (new chests and action, new console, new digital memory) was in 2013.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.
1996 OHS Convention Handbook: Open In New Tab
We received the most recent update for this stoplist from Paul R. Marchesano on March 02, 2021.

Instrument Images:

Organ case in front, right side of sanctuary: Photograph from an archival source: 1905 Wm King brochure in OHS archives, submitted by James R. Stettner. Taken approx. ca. 1895

Pipe Organs in the Philadelphia area sponsored by:
This instrument has been viewed 680 times.