Pipe Organ Database

a project of the organ historical society

J.G. Pfeffer & Son (1897)

Location:

St. Thomas the Apostle R.C. Church
14816 Route B
St. Thomas, MO 65076 US
Organ ID: 1360

Update This Entry

Status and Condition:

  • This instrument's location type is: Roman Catholic Churches
  • The organ has been renovated with changes from its original state.
  • The organ's condition is good, in regular use.
We received the most recent update for this instrument's status from Database Manager on September 06, 2019.

Technical Details:

  • Chests: Slider
  • 9 ranks. 477 pipes. 2 divisions. 1 manuals. 9 stops. 9 registers.
All:
  • Chest Type(s): Slider chests
  • Position: In a gallery-level case at the rear of the room.
We received the most recent update for this division from Database Manager on September 06, 2019.
Main:
  • Manuals: 1
  • Divisions: 2
  • Stops: 9
  • Registers: 9
  • Position: Keydesk attached.
  • Manual Compass: 58
  • Pedal Compass: 25
  • Key Action: Mechanical connection from key to chest (tracker, sticker or mix).
  • Stop Action: Mechanical connection between stop control and chest.
  • Console Style: Traditional style with a keyboard cover that can be lifted to form a music rack.
  • Stop Controls: Drawknobs in horizontal rows on terraced/stepped jambs.
  • Combination Action: Fixed mechanical system.
  • Swell Control Type: No enclosed divisions.
  • Pedalboard Type: Flat straight pedalboard.
We received the most recent update for this console from Database Manager on September 06, 2019.
Jeff Scofield on April 17, 2021:

From the Quimby website: Quimby Pipe Organs has been engaged by St. Thomas the Apostle Catholic Church in St. Thomas, Missouri, to restore the Church’s 1897 one-manual and pedal Pfeffer pipe organ. The pipe organ, which has been in the Church since 1897, was shipped down the Osage River on the Steamer Frederick, according to a notation on the inside of the casework. The instrument served the church for approximately eighty years, until it was superseded by a three-rank electro-pneumatic unit organ, which was unceremoniously installed on the Subbass windchest at the rear of the Pfeffer, and on the tuner’s walkboard.

Interestingly, all of the original Pfeffer pipework survives, although some pipework had been borrowed for use in the electro-pneumatic organ. Mechanically, the instrument is also nearly intact, with the only missing components being the wind trunk to the Pedal chest and miscellany associated with the mounting of the pump handle.

Restoration work will be done according to the Organ Historical Society Conservation Guidelines and will include careful repair, cleaning, and regulation of all pipework (which is all original, and is still cone-tuned), replacement of an early twentieth century blower and motor, restoration of the hand-pumping mechanism, releathering of the double-rise reservoir and feeder bellows, replacement of leather nuts and felts, re-graphiting of wood sliders and repairs to table, replacement of missing wood wind trunk to the Pedal windchest, cleaning of all interior components and casework, and complete regulation of the action.

We received the most recent update for this note from Jeff Scofield on April 17, 2021.

Database Manager on December 21, 2018:

Updated by James R. Stettner, listing this web site as a source of information: https://pipeorgandatabase.org/OrganDetails.php?OrganID=1360.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on December 22, 2018.

Database Manager on August 23, 2016:

Updated through online information from Fr. Jeremy Secrist.
The Pfeffer instrument at St. Thomas the Apostle was restored according to OHS guidelines by Quimby Pipe Organs of Warrensburg, MO, with restoration completed in July 2016.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Database Manager on September 01, 2015:

Updated through online information from Fr. Jeremy Secrist.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Database Manager on October 30, 2004:

All original Pfeffer pipe work is extant, even as ~30 Pfeffer pipes are currently intermixed with three ranks of pipes located on electric offset chests (from 1983) located behind the Pfeffer case and wired to a 1950's-era 2 manual Wicks console located downstairs.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Source not recorded: Open In New Tab Stoplist provided by Fr. Jeremy A. Secrist
We received the most recent update for this stoplist from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Instrument Images:

Nave, Balcony, and Organ Case: Photograph by Fr. Jeremy A. Secrist. Taken on 2015-09-01

Pipework and Writing on Organ Case: (Steamboat Frederick transported organ from St. Louis). Photograph by Fr. Jeremy A. Secrist. Taken on 2015-09-01

Trackers: Photograph by Fr. Jeremy A. Secrist. Taken on 2015-09-01

Keydesk: Photograph by Fr. Jeremy A. Secrist. Taken on 2015-09-01

Keydesk, restored: Photograph by Fr. Jeremy Secrist. Taken on 2017-04-24

Facade: Photograph by Fr. Jeremy Secrist. Taken on 2017-07-18

Console: Photograph by Quimby Pipe Organs website, submitted by Jeff Scofield. Taken approx. 2016

Church interior to front: Photograph by Church Facebook, submitted by Jeff Scofield. Taken on 2021-04-04

Church exterior: Photograph by Church Facebook, submitted by Jeff Scofield. Taken on 2020-04-12

Church front exterior: Photograph by Church Facebook, submitted by Jeff Scofield. Taken on 2020-03-18

This instrument has been viewed 527 times.