Pipe Organ Database

a project of the organ historical society

Austin Organs, Inc. (Opus 2762, 1995)

Originally Murray M. Harris (Organ Co.) (1911)

Location:

St. James' Episcopal Church, Los Angeles
3903 Wilshire Boulevard
Los Angeles, CA 90010 US
Church
Organ ID: 13851

Update This Entry

Status and Condition:

  • This instrument's location type is: Episcopal and Anglican Churches
  • The organ has been renovated with changes from its original state.
  • The organ's condition is good, in regular use.
We received the most recent update for this instrument's status from Database Manager on May 13, 2018.

Technical Details:

  • Chests: Information unknown or not applicable
  • 50 divisions. 66 stops.
All:
  • Position: In side chambers at the front of the room. Facade pipes or case front visible.
We received the most recent update for this division from Database Manager on May 13, 2018.
Main:
  • Divisions: 50
  • Stops: 66
  • Position: Movable console.
  • Manual Compass: 61
  • Pedal Compass: 32
  • Stop Controls: Drawknobs in vertical rows on angled jambs.
  • Combination Action: Computerized/Digital system.
  • Swell Control Type: Balanced swell shoes/pedals, AGO standard placement.
  • Pedalboard Type: Concave radiating pedalboard meeting AGO Standards.
  • Has Crescendo Pedal
  • Has Tutti Reversible Thumb Pistons
  • Has Tutti Reversible Toe Pistons
  • Has Combination Action Thumb Pistons
  • Has Combination Action Toe Pistons
  • Has Coupler Reversible Thumb Pistons
  • Has Coupler Reversible Toe Pistons
  • Has a Piston Sequencer
We received the most recent update for this console from Database Manager on May 13, 2018.
Database Manager on September 10, 2014:

Altered and relocated existing organ. Identified by Robert Williams, based on personal knowledge of the organ. -- The 1911 Murray Harris organ was built for St. Paul's Episcopal Pro-Cathedral, then located on Olive Street in Los Angeles. The organ was moved in 1923 to the new St. Paul's Cathedral on Figueroa Street in Los Angeles. When the latter building was demolished in 1980 after earthquake damage, the organ was stored and then installed in 1995 at St. James' Episcopal Church, 3903 Wilshire Boulevard, Los Angeles, as part of the current John David Falconer Memorial Organ.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Database Manager on August 02, 2012:

Updated through online information from Paul Dessau. -- Information from the church web site.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Database Manager on January 03, 2009:

Tonal finishing and completion of new organ begun by Schlicker ca. 1990, incorporating 1926 Kimball Echo division and pipework of 1911 Murry M. Harris organ originally installed in St. Paul's Cathedral, Los Angeles. That church closed in 1979, and the organ was in storage until the resurrected at St. James.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Database Manager on January 08, 2005:

Information identifying this instrument from the Austin Organs, Inc. web site, accessed December 31, 2004: http://www.austinorgans.com/organ-research.htm.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.
Source not recorded: Open In New Tab Stoplist from the Trompettes en Chamade dedication leaflet
We received the most recent update for this stoplist from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Instrument Images:

Organ: Photograph by James Lewis. Taken on 1994-08-09

Church interior to front: Photograph by Church Facebook, submitted by Jeff Scofield. Taken on 2010-03-08

Church interior to rear: Photograph by Church Facebook, submitted by Jeff Scofield. Taken on 2010-03-08

Church interior from gallery: Photograph by Church Facebook, submitted by Jeff Scofield. Taken on 2010-03-08

Wolcott Trombas and Trompette des-Anges (en-chamade): Photograph by Church Facebook, submitted by Jeff Scofield. Taken on 2010-03-08

Console: Photograph by Todd Arnhold, via Facebook, submitted by Jeff Scofield. Taken on 2021-08-28

Church exterior: Photograph by Church Facebook, submitted by Jeff Scofield. Taken on 2020-05-02

This instrument has been viewed 1,102 times.