Updated through online information from John Igoe. -- Dobson constructed a new console in historic style in 2013
Updated through on-line information from Frederick A. MacArthur. -- This organ has never been rebuilt, only enough work done over the years to keep it going. Williams Laws did replace the original console with his version of an Austin console in the early 50s. At some point around 1960 the pitch of the organ was raised. All the pipework is original, intact & in excellent condition. The chests are slider, with electro-pneumatic action. The organ is currently being restored by the Spencer Organ Company of Waltham and will be re-installed by the end of the Summer of 2007. A new console is planned for a later date. The stoplist will not be changed at all; a 16-8-4 Kimball Tuba on 10" is being added and will have its own blower. It is interesting to note that the Swell Celeste goes to bottom C. The Choir division was never enclosed. Located in two chambers on either side of the very high organ/choir loft, there are two massive, matching facades which face each other and wrap into the nave. The acoustics of the church are excellent.
The console was installed by Wiliam Laws around 1954. It's a standard Austin stop-key console, but with Laws' nameplate. Among other things, there is an expression shoe for the choir division, although evidence indicates that the choir has never been enclosed.
From Fr. George Hafemann: The organ has received only minor upkeep over the years, although almost all of it still plays as of this writing. Fred MacArthur has had some restorative voicing done (someone had tried to Baroque-ify a few stops), and a new blower and static reservoir installed. Otherwise, the instrument is in pretty original condition.
Rebuilt recently (as of 2005), but believed to be largely intact as original. (Information from William Catanesye in 2005.)
Identified from company publications as edited and expanded in The Hook Opus List 1829-1935, ed. William T. Van Pelt (Organ Historical Society, 1991).
Facade and windows: Photograph by Fr. David Michael, submitted by John Roper. Taken approx. Ca. 2020