Updated through online information from Stephen Hall. -- Extensively rebuilt by Schlicker 1946-47, converted to electropneumatic action and enlarged to three manuals using parts of the large 4/100 Möller organ that had been removed from the Larkin Co. building in Buffalo, NY; a new electric blower installed. William Barger did another rebuild in 1982, including a new solid state console. Barger did another rebuild in 1986 to repair water damage from sprinkler system, further additions made. Barger-Nix added new trumpet in 2011. (Information from church website accessed Feb 14, 2012)
Updated through online information from James R. Stettner. -- The list of Pilcher organs typed by William E. Pilcher of Louisville seems to be errant. It lists the date of the organ as 1885 and the size as 1/9. St. Michael's was built because Grace was no longer large enough to accommodate all the members. But permission to establish a second Episcopal parish wasn't sought from the Bishop of Alabama until June 2, 1887. And the Articles of Association were signed on St. Michael's Day (Michaelmas) later that same year. Ground for the church was broken on June 11, 1888, and the cornerstone was laid on All Saints' Day - November 1. On St. Michael's Day (9/29/1890) the church was consecrated. Parish archives also record the organ as being a large two-manual instrument - not a one-manual. And an extant photo shows a rather immense and ornately-stenciled facade at the front on the right. Wind was furnished by a water engine.
Identified through a list of Pilcher organs typed by William E. Pilcher of Louisville. See the document referenced below.