Moline Organ Co. (1884)

Location:

First Evangelical (Swedish) Lutheran Church
225 South Third Street
Rockford, IL 61104 US
Organ ID: 19437

Update This Entry

Status and Condition:

  • This instrument's location type is: Lutheran Churches
  • The organ has been rebuilt or substantially revised.
  • The organ's condition is unknown.
We received the most recent update for this instrument's status from Paul R. Marchesano on December 01, 2021.

Technical Details:

  • Chests: Slider
  • 3 divisions. 2 manuals.
All:
  • Chest Type(s): Slider chests
  • Position: In a case at the front of the room.
We received the most recent update for this division from Database Manager on June 20, 2018.
Main:
  • Manuals: 2
  • Divisions: 3
  • Position: Keydesk attached.
  • Key Action: Mechanical connection from key to chest (tracker, sticker or mix).
  • Stop Action: Mechanical connection between stop control and chest.
  • Console Style: Traditional style with a keyboard cover that can be lifted to form a music rack.
  • Stop Controls: Drawknobs in horizontal rows on terraced/stepped jambs.
  • Combination Action: Fixed mechanical system.
We received the most recent update for this console from Database Manager on June 20, 2018.
Database Manager on January 18, 2011:

Updated through online information from Rick Erickson. -- Cost in 1884 was $3,1000[sic should be $3,100]. According to a handwritten memo in the church's archives Prof. Alfred Thorsten Lindgren (organist 1890-1921) made various changes to the organ. He replaced the Swell Mixture with a 2- Flautino ("very useful in solo combinations") and 8- Aeoline ("the full organ being brilliant enough without the Swell mixture"). He split the single 16- Swell Lieblich Bourdon into two stops, bass and treble, and heightened the Swell box by 2½ feet. This allowed the stopped wood bottom octave basses of the Swell Open Diapason to be replaced with full-length metal basses. The Open Diapason and Cornopean also exchanged places on the windchest so that the former could be "better heard" and the latter-s "strong quality" better shaded. He further packed away the Great Mixture pipes in a box, replacing it with another Diapason, using in part the stopped wood bases of the Swell Diapason. In February 1893 Lindgren added an electric blower motor with pulley attachment "made by my young friend Aaron Palmer", though gas lighting was still in use in the church until after sometime after the Second World War. Organ then rebuilt as a 4-manual by the Bennett Organ Co. in 1925 at a cost of about $30,000

We received the most recent update for this note from Paul R. Marchesano on December 01, 2021.

Database Manager on September 13, 2005:

Dedicated 28 Nov 1884. (Information from The Indicator, Dec. 3, 1884, p. 423.)

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Instrument Images:

Church exterior, ca. 1915.: Vintage postcard, courtesy of Rick Erickson.

Organ case in front gallery with organist Prof. Alfred Thorsten Lindgren at the keydesk, 1906.: Photograph in the church archives, courtesy of Rick Erickson.

This instrument has been viewed 496 times.