Henry Erben (1830)

Location:

Salem Academy and College
Winston-Salem, NC 2710_ US
Single Sisters' House
Organ ID: 2238

Update This Entry

Status and Condition:

  • This instrument's location type is: Museums
  • The organ has been restored to a previous state.
  • The organ's condition is unknown.
We received the most recent update for this instrument's status from Jeff Scofield on March 18, 2022.

Technical Details:

  • Chests: Slider
  • 1 manuals. 4 stops.
All:
  • Chest Type(s): Slider chests
We received the most recent update for this division from Database Manager on May 13, 2018.
Main:
  • Manuals: 1
  • Stops: 4
  • Key Action: Mechanical connection from key to chest (tracker, sticker or mix).
We received the most recent update for this console from Database Manager on May 13, 2018.
Jeff Scofield on March 18, 2022:

Restored by Taylor & Boody in 2008.

We received the most recent update for this note from Jeff Scofield on March 18, 2022.

Jeff Scofield on March 18, 2022:

1830 One manual, four stop residence organ built by Henry Erben in New York for a gentleman in the north, but was removed because it was to large for his home. The gentleman has not yet been identified, and the production date of this organ was determined to be 1830 based on a signature inside of the case. 1839 March 18: Sister Frederica Hueffel, the pflegerin (spiritual leader) of the Single Sisters' in Salem, North Carolina, made a request to purchase a pipe organ for the chapel in the Single Sisters' House, because "the present instrument, a grand piano, does not stay in tune and also seems to be weak for the size of the room." -Records of the Moravians in North Carolina, Vol 9, 1839 1839 June 29: The organ, located in the Saal of the Single Sisters' House, is dedicated "with a happy Singstunde and a prayer for its use in the holy place." -Records of the Moravians in North Carolina, Vol 9, 1839 1896 Organ removed from Single Sisters' House and given to the Wachovia Historical Society. The organ was then exhibited in the Boys' School. 1978 The organ was moved from the Boys' School to the Boys' School Annex by Norman Ryan, an organbuilder in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. 1986 The Boys' School Annex was to be demolished, so the organ was moved again by Norman Ryan to the MESDA building in Old Salem for storage. 2005 The Wachovia Historical Society agreed to give the organ to Salem Academy and College if the organ is restored and used in the Single Sisters' House. 2008 February: The organ is re-installed in the Single Sisters' House after restoration

We received the most recent update for this note from Jeff Scofield on March 18, 2022.

Database Manager on October 30, 2004:

Stoplist in Richmond.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Instrument Images:

Organ facade: Photograph by Tim Drewes. Taken on 2013-10-08

Right hand stop knobs: Photograph by Tim Drewes. Taken on 2013-10-08

Builder's nameplate: Photograph by Tim Drewes. Taken on 2013-10-08

Screen decoration: Photograph by Taylor & Boody website, submitted by Jeff Scofield.

Console: Photograph by Taylor & Boody website, submitted by Jeff Scofield.

Right stopjamb: Photograph by Taylor & Boody website, submitted by Jeff Scofield.

This instrument has been viewed 727 times.