Pipe Organ Database

a project of the organ historical society

Balcom and Vaughan (Opus 632, 1956)

Originally Balcom and Vaughan (Opus 543, 1952)

Location:

Steele Lake Presbyterian
1829 S. 308th St.
Federal Way, WA 98003 US
Edwin Q. Hurd Chapel
Organ ID: 22433

Update This Entry

Status and Condition:

  • This instrument's location type is: Presbyterian Churches
  • The organ is unaltered from its original state.
  • The organ's condition is unknown.
We received the most recent update for this instrument's status from Database Manager on May 13, 2018.

Technical Details:

  • Chests: EP ventil
  • 9 ranks. 494 pipes. 3 divisions. 2 manuals. 9 stops. 9 registers.
All:
  • Chest Type(s): EP ventil chests
  • Position: In center chambers at the front of the room. No visible pipes.
We received the most recent update for this division from Database Manager on May 13, 2018.
Main:
  • Manuals: 2
  • Divisions: 3
  • Stops: 9
  • Registers: 9
  • Position: Console in fixed position, right.
  • Manual Compass: 61
  • Pedal Compass: 32
  • Key Action: Electrical connection from key to chest.
  • Stop Action: Electric connection between stop control and chest.
  • Console Style: Traditional style with roll top.
  • Stop Controls: Stop keys above top manual.
  • Combination Action: Adjustable combination pistons.
  • Swell Control Type: Balanced swell shoes/pedals.
  • Pedalboard Type: Concave radiating pedalboard.
  • Has Crescendo Pedal
  • Has Tutti Reversible Thumb Pistons
  • Has Tutti Reversible Toe Pistons
  • Has Combination Action Thumb Pistons
  • Has Coupler Reversible Thumb Pistons
  • Has Coupler Reversible Toe Pistons
We received the most recent update for this console from Database Manager on May 13, 2018.
Database Manager on November 03, 2008:

Updated through on-line information from James R. Stettner.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Database Manager on December 26, 2005:

Identified through on-line information from James R. Stettner. -- This organ began life as Estey, Opus 627, built in 1909 for St. James Episcopal Church in Kent, Washington. It was 2-manuals and 8-ranks and operated by tubular-pneumatic action. In 1952, Balcom and Vaughan electrified the original Estey primaries, and added a used M. P. Möller console from that firm's opus 6183 built in 1933 for Central Lutheran Church in Seattle. This was done for installation in the Seattle residence of Signe Williamson. The organ was again transplanted to Steele Lake Presbyterian in 1956, again by Balcom and Vaughan, as their opus 632 - without tonal changes. What was originally the sanctuary, has since become the chapel.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on February 11, 2019.
Source not recorded: Open In New Tab Stoplist copied from the console August 18, 1998
We received the most recent update for this stoplist from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Instrument Images:

The database contains no images for this instrument. If you have some, please share them using the update entry button on this page.

This instrument has been viewed 277 times.