SS. Peter & Paul Roman Catholic Basilica
214 E. Eighth Street
Chattanooga, TN 37402 US
Organ ID: 23447
In May 2011, SS. Peter and Paul Catholic Church was designated a minor basilica by Pope Benedict XVI.
Updated through online information from Jeff Scofield. -- Originally installed by Barckhoff in late 1880's; rebuilt with tonal changes by Kilgen in 1937; rebuilt with tonal changes by Joe Lee, Knoxville TN, in 1991; 1991 work reversed and organ rebuilt in 2006 by Barger & Nix with Barckhoff and Kilgen pipework restored to their original tonal intentions.
Rebuild and partial restoration of Kilgen Opus 5745 (1937), which incorporated piepwork from a Barckhoff organ of the 1880s.
From William Barger: We are presently rebuilding this instrument. Most of the pipes in the original Kilgen work were from an 1880s Barkhoff that was supposedly the first three-manual organ in the city. The present work will retain all of those pipes that remain but will discard all of the homemade additions from 1990. Unfortunately, the 1990 work destroyed all of the original wind chests; new, all-electric chests are presently being manufactured in our shop. The final specifications of the finished instrument will be in the spirit of both the Barkhoff and the Kilgen work--which was mostly new actions. The only significant change to the tonal design is the inclusion of a separate principal chorus (8 - 4 - 2 23 - 2 IV Mixture) in the Great along with the existing stops.