Pipe Organ Database

a project of the organ historical society

William W. Laws (1924)

Originally James Treat & Co. (Opus 2, 1886)

Location:

First Church Congregational, UCC
26 Pleasant Street
Methuen, MA 01844 US
Organ ID: 26038

Update This Entry

Status and Condition:

  • This instrument's location type is: United Churches of Christ (UCC)
  • The organ has been altered from its original state.
  • The organ's condition is unknown.
We received the most recent update for this instrument's status from Database Manager on May 13, 2018.

Technical Details:

  • Chests: Slider with pneumatic pull-downs (externally, EP or TP)
  • 44 ranks. 1,496 pipes. 4 divisions. 3 manuals. 45 stops. 42 registers.
All:
  • Chest Type(s): Slider with pneumatic pull-downs (externally, EP or TP) chests
  • Position: In a floor-level case at the rear of the room.
We received the most recent update for this division from Database Manager on May 13, 2018.
Main:
  • Manuals: 3
  • Divisions: 4
  • Stops: 45
  • Registers: 42
  • Position: Movable console.
  • Manual Compass: 61
  • Pedal Compass: 32
  • Key Action: Electrical connection from key to chest.
  • Stop Action: Electric connection between stop control and chest.
  • Console Style: Traditional style with a keyboard cover that can be lifted to form a music rack.
  • Stop Controls: Drawknobs in horizontal rows on terraced/stepped jambs.
  • Combination Action: Computerized/Digital system.
  • Combination Action Name: SSOS
  • Swell Control Type: Balanced swell shoes/pedals, AGO standard placement.
  • Pedalboard Type: Concave radiating pedalboard meeting AGO Standards.
  • Has Crescendo Pedal
  • Has Tutti Reversible Thumb Pistons
  • Has Tutti Reversible Toe Pistons
  • Has Combination Action Thumb Pistons
  • Has Combination Action Toe Pistons
We received the most recent update for this console from John Roper on December 15, 2020.
Database Manager on June 08, 2009:

Updated through online information from James R. Stettner. -- The organ was initially installed "as is" by Wm. W. Laws. Electro-pneumatic pull-downs were added to the original chests. The original console shell was retained and an Austin-style interior retro-fitted into the shell with stopkeys over the top manual. According to the church website, "During the 1930s, two [Swell] stops (Mixture V ranks and Clarion 4') were removed and substituted with two stops of string tone. Other than that the organ was totally intact." The replacement stops were still present when I played/documented the organ in March 1988. The dedicatory Recital was played by Everett E. Truette on Thursday evening, April 10, 1924 at 8:00 p.m. Mr. Truette was the organist at Eliot Congregational in Newton, Mass. at the time. Also, the original top, center of the Great Barrington organ and the two figures atop the Pedal towers are present on the Ballroom organ of the Searles Pine Lodge Estate residence in Methuen.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Database Manager on May 09, 2008:

Updated through online information from Len A. Levasseur.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Database Manager on May 14, 2007:

Identified through online information from Joseph Olefirowicz. -- This organ was originally the residence organ of Edward Searles in his Great Barrington, Massachusetts mansion, "Kellogg Terrace". - With a case design, by Henry Vaughan (which unfortunately for the "pineapples" on the pedal towers) which has been slightly altered to fit into the room. (This done by the Laws electrification/installation in 1924.)

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Instrument Images:

Organ: Photograph by Len Levasseur. Taken on 2008-05-07

Console: Photograph by Len Levasseur. Taken on 2008-05-07

Console: Photograph by Len Levasseur. Taken on 2008-05-07

Console: Photograph by Len Levasseur. Taken on 2008-05-07

Nave and Organ Case: Vintage Postcard (ca. 1925) courtesy of Barbara Owen.

Pipe Organs in Massachusetts sponsored by:
This instrument has been viewed 684 times.