Pipe Organ Database

a project of the organ historical society

Unknown Builder

Originally M. P. Möller (Opus 1662, 1913)

Location:

First Unitarian Church
2365 Cahaba Road
Birmingham, AL 35253 US
Organ ID: 26114

Update This Entry

Status and Condition:

  • This instrument's location type is: Unitarian, Universalist, Unitarian-Universalist
  • The organ is no longer at this location; destroyed, dispersed, relocated or taken in trade.
  • The organ's condition is unknown.
We received the most recent update for this instrument's status from Jim Stettner on January 12, 2022.

Technical Details:

  • Chests: Electro-pneumatic (EP)
  • 8 ranks. 459 pipes. 3 divisions. 2 manuals. 9 stops. 8 registers.
All:
  • Chest Type(s): Electro-pneumatic (EP) chests
  • Position: In gallery-level chambers at the rear of the room.
We received the most recent update for this division from Database Manager on May 13, 2018.
Main:
  • Manuals: 2
  • Divisions: 3
  • Stops: 9
  • Registers: 8
  • Position: Movable console.
  • Manual Compass: 61
  • Pedal Compass: 32
  • Key Action: Electrical connection from key to chest.
  • Stop Action: Electric connection between stop control and chest.
  • Console Style: Traditional style with roll top.
  • Stop Controls: Stop keys above top manual.
  • Combination Action: 'Hold and Set' pneumatic/mechanical system.
  • Swell Control Type: Balanced swell shoes/pedals, AGO standard placement.
  • Pedalboard Type: Concave radiating pedalboard meeting AGO Standards.
  • Has Crescendo Pedal
  • Has Combination Action Thumb Pistons
We received the most recent update for this console from Database Manager on May 13, 2018.
Database Manager on May 24, 2007:

Identified through on-line information from James R. Stettner. -- The organ was orignally built for Crossman Methodist Episcopal in Falls Church, Virginia; it was likely tubular-pneumatic. It was rebuilt by Möller in 1948 at which time it was likely electrified. Whether this was done for First Unitarian or not is unknown. The organ is in a chamber in the rear gallery, but the console is on the ground floor at the front. The 8' Melodia / Concert Flute is shared between the Great and Swell. The Sw. 8' Viola is actually an Oboe-Gamba, and the Viola pipes are in stroage in the chamber. Bass CC of the Great 4' Principal has been hand-signed and reads, Ed Taylor 1662. (Documented autumn, 1987)

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on February 11, 2019.

Instrument Images:

Church exterior: Photograph by James R. Stettner. Taken on 1987-09-05

Console: Photograph by James R. Stettner. Taken on 1987-09-05

This instrument has been viewed 420 times.