Pipe Organ Database

a project of the organ historical society

W. W. Kimball Co. (1908)

Location:

First Baptist Church
201 W. Broadway
Butte, MT 59701 US
Organ ID: 2895

Update This Entry

Status and Condition:

  • This instrument's location type is: Baptist Churches
  • The organ has been altered from its original state.
  • The organ's condition is unknown.
We received the most recent update for this instrument's status from Database Manager on May 13, 2018.

Technical Details:

  • Chests: Ventil
  • 11 ranks. 640 pipes. 3 divisions. 2 manuals. 11 stops. 12 registers.
All:
  • Chest Type(s): Ventil chests
  • Position: In a case at the front of the room.
We received the most recent update for this division from Database Manager on May 13, 2018.
Main:
  • Manuals: 2
  • Divisions: 3
  • Stops: 11
  • Registers: 12
  • Position: Keydesk attached.
  • Manual Compass: 61
  • Pedal Compass: 30
  • Key Action: Tubular-pneumatic connection from key to chest.
  • Stop Action: Tubular-pneumatic connection between stop control and chest.
  • Console Style: Traditional style with a keyboard cover that can be lifted to form a music rack.
  • Stop Controls: Drawknobs in horizontal rows on flat jambs.
  • Combination Action: Fixed mechanical system.
  • Swell Control Type: Balanced swell shoes/pedals.
  • Pedalboard Type: Flat straight pedalboard.
  • Has Crescendo Pedal
  • Has Coupler Reversible Toe Pistons
We received the most recent update for this console from Database Manager on May 13, 2018.
Database Manager on November 20, 2005:

Updated through online information from James R. Stettner. -- Organ free-standing and encased on the elevated chancel platform. Quarter-sawn oak case. Keydesk attached and projecting. Organ ordered through Orton Bros. music store in Butte. Cost $2,500.00. First used at dedication of church April 12, 1908. Three-sectional facade containing 27 pipes arranged: 7 - 13 - 7, which includes the first 17 pipes of the Great 8' Open Diapason. Facade pipes restencilled in original patterns/colors by two parishioners during Kajkowski rebuild. Four combintions by fixed, mechanical iron foot levers: Swell Piano, Swell Forte, Great Piano, and Great Forte. Originally dedicated on April 29, 1908 by E. Russell Sanborn of Boston, MA. Organ re-dedicated in recital by Montana native, Earl L. Miller on Thursday, October 24, 1985.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Database Manager on October 30, 2004:

Status Note: There 1985

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Database Manager on October 30, 2004:

Renovated without tonal change by Kajkowski in 1984. Ventil chests. [OH 1984 indicates 2-13.] Couplers electrified. Tubular stop action restored.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.
Source not recorded: Open In New Tab Stoplist copied from the console August 2, 1994
We received the most recent update for this stoplist from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Instrument Images:

Organ: Photograph by James R. Stettner. Taken on 2007-04-21

Organ Case: Photograph by James R. Stettner. Taken on 1994-08-02

Organ Case: Photograph by James R. Stettner. Taken on 1994-08-02

Keydesk: Photograph by James R. Stettner. Taken on 1994-08-02

Great Stopjamb: Photograph by James R. Stettner. Taken on 1994-08-02

Swell Stopjamb: Photograph by James R. Stettner. Taken on 1994-08-02

Couplers: Photograph by James R. Stettner. Taken on 1994-08-02

Foot Trundles and Expression Shoe: Photograph by James R. Stettner. Taken on 1994-08-02

This instrument has been viewed 472 times.