Andover Organ Co. (Opus R-35, 1964)

Originally Hook & Hastings (Opus 1573, 1893)
Exhibited in the 1992 OHS convention(s)

Location:

St. Dominic's Roman Catholic Church
163 Danforth Street
Portland, ME 04102 US
Sanctuary; rear gallery
Organ ID: 29111

Update This Entry

Status and Condition:

  • This instrument's location type is: Roman Catholic Churches
  • The organ has been relocated.
  • The organ's condition is unknown.
We received the most recent update for this instrument's status from Andrew Scanlon on October 03, 2022.

Technical Details:

  • Chests: Slider
  • 31 ranks. 1,674 pipes. 4 divisions. 3 manuals. 27 stops. 27 registers.
All:
  • Chest Type(s): Slider chests
  • Position: In a gallery-level case at the rear of the room.
We received the most recent update for this division from Database Manager on May 13, 2018.
Main:
  • Manuals: 3
  • Divisions: 4
  • Stops: 27
  • Registers: 27
  • Position: Detached, reversed keydesk (mechanical action).
  • Manual Compass: 58
  • Pedal Compass: 27
  • Key Action: Mechanical connection from key to chest (tracker, sticker or mix).
  • Stop Action: Mechanical connection between stop control and chest.
  • Console Style: Traditional style with roll top.
  • Stop Controls: Drawknobs in horizontal rows on terraced/stepped jambs.
  • Combination Action: Fixed mechanical system.
  • Swell Control Type: Balanced swell shoes/pedals.
  • Pedalboard Type: Flat straight pedalboard.
We received the most recent update for this console from Database Manager on May 13, 2018.
Jim Stettner on October 03, 2022:

The organ was removed and stored, and ultimately relocated to Christ Church, Episcopal in Rochester, New York. It was restored/installed by David E. Wallace & Co. in 2012 with additions.

We received the most recent update for this note from Jim Stettner on October 03, 2022.

Database Manager on September 27, 2007:

Identified through online information from James R. Stettner. -- This was tonal changes to the parish's existing 1893 Hook & Hastings, Opus 1573. The Great and Pedal remained unchanged, but the Swell and Choir were substantially altered. Diocese closed the church around 1997, and merged the parish with Sacred Heart Church at their building located at 65 Mellen St.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.
1992 OHS Handbook: Open In New Tab
We received the most recent update for this stoplist from Paul R. Marchesano on September 30, 2022.

Instrument Images:

Organ case in rear gallery: Photograph by James R. Stettner, submitted by Paul R. Marchesano. Taken on 1988-03-17

Detached, reversed console from left: Photograph by James R. Stettner, submitted by Paul R. Marchesano. Taken on 1988-03-17

Detached, reversed console from right: Photograph by James R. Stettner, submitted by Paul R. Marchesano. Taken on 1988-03-17

This instrument has been viewed 769 times.