Updated through online information from T. Daniel Hancock. -- Owen, 1979, cites this organ as having been installed in the Unitarian Church. She further states that Hook added a Sub Bass 16' in 1844-45, and that other work was done later in the 19th century as follows: the recessed keydesk was replaced by a projecting but attached keydesk, specification altered, pedal compass extended, and the manual compass changed to C. In 1945, the original Goodrich Oboe was discarded in favor of a modern Oboe, but several pipes were "lost" under the reservoir, and rediscovered later. Owen cites the Diapason chorus and Flutes as original.
Identified through on-line information from James R. Stettner. -- The organ was free-standing in a rear gallery with a 7-sectional facade containing 23 common metal, gold-leafed pipes arranged: 3-3-3-5-3-3-3. A ca. 1870s photo in the Nantucket Historical Association archives shows the organ in this original form. The original facade pipes were later replaced with zinc substitutes in the 1940s, which were also stenciled in the patterns seen today. The organ was a G-compass organ of 58 notes and had no pedalboard. In the photo, the doors covering the keydesk area are closed, but it is still plainly evident that the manuals are recessed inside the case front.