Pipe Organ Database

a project of the organ historical society

Votteler-Holtkamp-Sparling (Opus Job No. 1575, 1938)

Originally Gottlieb F. Votteler (1881)

Location:

St. John's United Church of Christ
409 N. Wooster Avenue
Dover, OH 44622 US
Organ ID: 31176

Update This Entry

Status and Condition:

  • This instrument's location type is: United Churches of Christ (UCC)
  • The organ has been renovated with changes from its original state.
  • The organ's condition is unknown.
We received the most recent update for this instrument's status from Paul R. Marchesano on August 12, 2022.

Technical Details:

  • Chests: EP ventil
  • 4 divisions. 3 manuals. 27 stops.
All:
  • Chest Type(s): EP ventil chests
  • Position: In side chambers at the front of the room. Facade pipes or case front visible.
We received the most recent update for this division from Database Manager on May 13, 2018.
Main:
  • Manuals: 3
  • Divisions: 4
  • Stops: 27
  • Position: Console in fixed position, right.
  • Manual Compass: 61
  • Pedal Compass: 32
  • Console Style: Non-traditional style, as consoles by Holtkamp, Schlicker, et al.
  • Stop Controls: Tilting/rocking tablets above top manual.
  • Combination Action: Adjustable combination pistons.
  • Swell Control Type: Balanced swell shoes/pedals, AGO standard placement.
  • Pedalboard Type: Concave radiating pedalboard meeting AGO Standards.
  • Has Crescendo Pedal
  • Has Tutti Reversible Thumb Pistons
  • Has Tutti Reversible Toe Pistons
  • Has Combination Action Thumb Pistons
  • Has Combination Action Toe Pistons
  • Has Coupler Reversible Thumb Pistons
  • Has Coupler Reversible Toe Pistons
  • Has a Piston Sequencer
We received the most recent update for this console from Database Manager on May 13, 2018.
Database Manager on April 12, 2018:

Rebuild in 2018 as Schantz #2333.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Database Manager on March 21, 2008:

Updated through online information from Paul R. Jones. -- The original 1881, 2 manual Votteler organ was installed at a cost of $2,000 placed in the rear of the church where the balcony gallery is now located. In 1899, it was moved to the front of the sanctuary where it remained until it was dismantled in 1932. In 1932, a new contract was signed and about 400 pipes from the 1881 Votteler organ were incorporated into the 1approximately 1700 pipes of the 1938 instrument. In 1938, a new organ (and current)organ was installed. Although the exact specifications of the 1938 installation differ from that of the 1932 contract, the current instrument has 3 manuals, 27 speaking stops, and 3 duplexed stops over about 30 ranks. In 2005, the Holtkamp Organ Company of Cleveland, Ohio updated the console electronics, did re-leathering, increased the number of thumb/toe pistons, installed a MIDI crescendo/combination sequencer,and cleaned the pipe work. No pipe additions or alterations have been done since the 1938 installation. This 1881/1938 Votteler-Holtkamp instrument is a true and rare beauty with all original console and case woodwork.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Database Manager on November 24, 2007:

Updated through online information from Paul Robert Jones. -- The stoplist and pipework contained in the 1932 contract was changed from the 1938 installation of the instrument. The exact mechanical specifications of 1938 is non-specific, but the organ action in general is electro-pneumatic key and stop action. The 1932 contract called for 5 general pistons including full organ and three combination thumb pistons and Ventils. The exact number of pipes are unknown, but is approximately 1,700 from the 1938 Holtkamp Organ and 300 pipes from the 1881 Votteler Organ. Recently, releathering work and pipe cleaning was performed.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Database Manager on November 21, 2007:

Identified through online information from Paul Robert Jones. -- Votteler-Holtkamp Organ Company. 1881 original / 1938 rebuilt and expansion. The Organ was built in 1881 containing about 800 pipes. In 1937, the Holtkamp Organ Co. rebuilt and relocated the instrument to the front of the sancuary. The current oragn has 3 manuals, about 26 speaking stops, 30 ranks, and approx 1,700 pipes with 300 additional pipes from theh old Votteler organ.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.
Source not recorded: Open In New Tab stoplist copied from console, January 2012
We received the most recent update for this stoplist from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.
Write-up from THE DIAPASON March 1938: Open In New Tab Stoplist and description
Document created on 1938-03-01
We received the most recent update for this document from Jeff Scofield on April 13, 2022.

Instrument Images:

Chancel with double facade: Photograph by Paul R. Jones. Taken on 1995-09-01

Console: Photograph by Paul R. Jones. Taken on 1995-09-01

This instrument has been viewed 715 times.