Pipe Organ Database

a project of the organ historical society

Breckels & Matthews (1906)

Originally Geo. H. Ryder (Opus 149, 1888)

Location:

St. Stephen in the Fields Anglican Church
103 Bellevue Avenue
Toronto, ON M5T 2N8 CA
Organ ID: 31830

Update This Entry

Status and Condition:

  • This instrument's location type is: Episcopal and Anglican Churches
  • The organ is currently being renovated or restored.
  • The organ's condition is good, in regular use.
We received the most recent update for this instrument's status from Database Manager on June 12, 2018.

Technical Details:

  • Chests: Slider with direct-electric pull-downs (externally mounted)
  • 26 ranks. 1,468 pipes. 3 divisions. 2 manuals. 25 stops. 25 registers.
All:
  • Chest Type(s): Slider with direct-electric pull-downs (externally mounted) chests
  • Position: In side chambers at the front of the room. Facade pipes or case front visible.
  • Slider Motors: Pneumatic (EP or TP) slider motors.
We received the most recent update for this division from Database Manager on June 12, 2018.
Main:
  • Manuals: 2
  • Divisions: 3
  • Stops: 25
  • Registers: 25
  • Position: Movable console.
  • Manual Compass: 61
  • Pedal Compass: 32
  • Key Action: Electrical connection from key to chest.
  • Stop Action: Electric connection between stop control and chest.
  • Console Style: Traditional style with roll top.
  • Stop Controls: Drawknobs in vertical rows on angled jambs.
  • Combination Action: Adjustable combination pistons.
  • Swell Control Type: Balanced swell shoes/pedals, AGO standard placement.
  • Pedalboard Type: Concave radiating pedalboard not meeting AGO standards.
  • Has Tutti Reversible Toe Pistons
  • Has Combination Action Thumb Pistons
  • Has Combination Action Toe Pistons
  • Has Coupler Reversible Thumb Pistons
  • Has Coupler Reversible Toe Pistons
We received the most recent update for this console from Database Manager on June 12, 2018.
Database Manager on September 18, 2011:

Updated through online information from John Gardham. -- The organ was electrified in 1942 and action later updated in 1988. A 3 manual Casavant console operates the organ however the original Ryder chests and pipework are for the most part unchanged. It remains a 2 manual instrument with pedal.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Database Manager on December 04, 2007:

Identified through online information from John G Phair. -- From the church website: Additions at time of installation here; EP chests from 1942; later additions and modifications.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Instrument Images:

Casavant Console and Pipe Façade: Photograph by John Gordham. Taken on 2011-08-02

This instrument has been viewed 798 times.