Pipe Organ Database

a project of the organ historical society

Unknown Builder (1894ca.)

Originally Gilbert & Butler (1893ca.)

Location:

First Methodist Episcopal Church
North Andover, MA US
Organ ID: 32686

Update This Entry

Status and Condition:

  • This instrument's location type is: Methodist Churches
  • The organ is no longer at this location; destroyed, dispersed, relocated or taken in trade.
  • The organ's condition is unknown.
We received the most recent update for this instrument's status from Database Manager on May 13, 2018.

Technical Details:

  • Chests: Slider
  • 6 ranks. 2 divisions. 1 manuals. 10 stops. 6 registers.
All:
  • Chest Type(s): Slider chests
We received the most recent update for this division from Database Manager on May 13, 2018.
Main:
  • Manuals: 1
  • Divisions: 2
  • Stops: 10
  • Registers: 6
  • Pedal Compass: 27
  • Key Action: Mechanical connection from key to chest (tracker, sticker or mix).
  • Stop Action: Mechanical connection between stop control and chest.
  • Swell Control Type: Balanced swell shoes/pedals.
  • Pedalboard Type: Flat straight pedalboard.
  • Has Hitchdown Couplers
We received the most recent update for this console from Database Manager on May 13, 2018.
Database Manager on January 09, 2008:

Identified through online information from James R. Stettner. -- This was a I-man. organ with five manual stops and one independent Pedal register: 16' Bourdon. Four of the five manual registers were divided into treble/bass stops: 8' Open Diapason, 8' Melodia, 8' Dulciana, and 4' Violina. Only the 4' Flute Harmonique was full-compass as a single drawstop. The edifice underwent numerous revisions and enlargements. The published parish history states on page 7: "It was during the pastorate of Rev. Pratt [ed.: Sept. 1894 - April 13, 1896], that the pipe organ, which was not new when purchased, was installed. This organ was used continually, first being pumped by a 'Bloy Boy,' later by a water pump, and still later becoming electrified, until it was taken out during the 1941 renovations." The Man. to Ped. coupler was drawknob, but the Octave Coupler was hitch-down. Page 8 adds: "In April of 1923, the organ was electrified. The David & Furber Machine Company electricians doing the work." In 1941, the organ was removed for renovations, but never reinstalled. It was replaced with an Everett Orgatron. Disposition of the Gilbert & Butler is not known.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.
Stoplist provided by Robert J. Reich of the Andover Organ Co.: Open In New Tab Original document from James R. Stettner. Originally published 2018-09-13
We received the most recent update for this stoplist from Database Manager on December 18, 2018.

Instrument Images:

The database contains no images for this instrument. If you have some, please share them using the update entry button on this page.

Pipe Organs in Massachusetts sponsored by:
This instrument has been viewed 324 times.