Aeolian-Skinner Organ Co. (Opus 1076, 1945)

Location:

First Reformed Church of Roseland
107th and Michigan Ave.
Chicago, IL US
Sanctuary
Organ ID: 33949

Update This Entry

Status and Condition:

  • This instrument's location type is: Reformed Churches (RCA, CRC, URC, PRC)
  • The organ has been relocated.
  • The organ's condition is unknown.
We received the most recent update for this instrument's status from Database Manager on May 13, 2018.

Technical Details:

  • Chests: EP pitman
  • 30 ranks. 2,057 pipes. 4 divisions. 3 manuals. 27 stops. 29 registers.
All:
  • Chest Type(s): EP pitman chests
  • Position: In center chambers at the front of the room. Facade pipes or case front visible.
We received the most recent update for this division from Database Manager on May 13, 2018.
Main:
  • Manuals: 3
  • Divisions: 4
  • Stops: 27
  • Registers: 29
  • Position: Console in fixed position, right.
  • Manual Compass: 61
  • Pedal Compass: 32
  • Key Action: Electrical connection from key to chest.
  • Stop Action: Electric connection between stop control and chest.
  • Console Style: Traditional style with roll top.
  • Stop Controls: Drawknobs in vertical rows on angled jambs.
  • Combination Action: 'Hold and Set' pneumatic/mechanical system.
  • Swell Control Type: Balanced swell shoes/pedals, AGO standard placement.
  • Pedalboard Type: Concave radiating pedalboard meeting AGO Standards.
  • Has Crescendo Pedal
  • Has Combination Action Thumb Pistons
We received the most recent update for this console from Database Manager on May 13, 2018.
Database Manager on March 04, 2010:

Updated through online information from Chad Boorsma. -- When the church relocated to South Holland, the Hinners facade remained in the Roseland building.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Database Manager on February 18, 2010:

Updated through online information from Chad Boorsma. -- The Aeolian-Skinner organ was placed behind the facade of the church's previous organ, a 1902 Hinners. The Hinners facade was redecorated at this time. The organ was dedicated on April 14, 1948, with Mr. Frederick Marriott, organist at Rockefeller Memorial Chapel (University of Chicago), at the console. The Harp was a gift from the E. Wondaal family, and the Chimes were given by the Anthony J. Toren family. Total cost of the organ and necessary remodeling was $27,810.10.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Database Manager on January 13, 2010:

Updated through online information from Martin Hill. -- The congregation moved to South Holland, changed their name to Thorn Creek Reformed Church, and took the organ with them in 1971.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Database Manager on March 17, 2008:

Identified through information adapted from E. M. Skinner/Aeolian-Skinner Opus List, by Sand Lawn and Allen Kinzey (Organ Historical Society, 1997), and included here through the kind permission of Sand Lawn:
No information.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.
Allen Kinzey: Open In New Tab Typed stoplist
We received the most recent update for this stoplist from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Instrument Images:

Console, Chancel, and Hinners Facade: Image from Church Anniversay Book; courtesy of Chad Boorsma. Taken on 1949-06-01

Church Exterior: Image from Church Anniversay Book; courtesy of Chad Boorsma. Taken on 1939-06-01

Church Exterior: Image from Church Anniversay Book; courtesy of Chad Boorsma. Taken on 1965-06-01

This instrument has been viewed 673 times.