Pipe Organ Database

a project of the organ historical society

J. Allen Farmer, Inc. (2003)

Originally Geo. Stevens (& Co.) (1865ca.)

Location:

St. Alban's Episcopal Church
301 Caldwell Lane
Davidson, NC 28036 US
Organ ID: 37040

Update This Entry

Status and Condition:

  • This instrument's location type is: Episcopal and Anglican Churches
  • The organ is unaltered from its original state.
  • The organ's condition is unknown.
We received the most recent update for this instrument's status from Database Manager on May 13, 2018.

Technical Details:

  • Chests: Information unknown or not applicable
  • 16 ranks. 751 pipes. 3 divisions. 2 manuals. 19 stops.
All:
  • Position: In a case at the front of the room.
We received the most recent update for this division from Database Manager on May 13, 2018.
Main:
  • Manuals: 2
  • Divisions: 3
  • Stops: 19
  • Position: Keydesk attached.
  • Manual Compass: 56
  • Pedal Compass: 30
  • Key Action: Mechanical connection from key to chest (tracker, sticker or mix).
  • Stop Action: Mechanical connection between stop control and chest.
  • Stop Controls: Drawknobs in horizontal rows on terraced/stepped jambs.
  • Pedalboard Type: Flat straight pedalboard.
We received the most recent update for this console from Database Manager on May 13, 2018.
Jim Stettner on October 23, 2021:

Acccording to John Dower of Lincoln Pipe Organs, the 16' Sub Bass added to the Stevens in 2003 was from several sources. In 2021, Lincoln replaced it with the Pedal Sub Bass from Estey Opus 1270, 1914 - originally built for Reidsville Baptist in Reidsville, NC. and relocated to First Moravian in Greensboro, NC. at an undocumented date by an undocumented person or firm. The Estey was removed from the Moravian church in 2020.

We received the most recent update for this note from Jim Stettner on October 23, 2021.

Database Manager on November 13, 2008:

Identified through on-line information from David Ritch. -- The organ was built by George Stevens ca. 1865. It originally had 686 pipes, but was enlarged to over 900. It was originally located in a Methodist Church in Hope, Rhode Island. The organ was purchased by St. Alban's and sent to J. Allen Farmer Inc. for restoration. The organ was dedicated at St. Alban's on March 6th 2003.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Instrument Images:

The database contains no images for this instrument. If you have some, please share them using the update entry button on this page.

This instrument has been viewed 317 times.