From the 1986 OHS Handbook: Original cost, $4,500. Dedicated in "Grand Concert" 30 June 1878.
"The Principal 16' has "monkey quints" in the bass-unusual stopped wood pipes of 16' pitch each paired with an 8' open wood pipe sharing a common foot. The Gross Floete 8' is really a double Clarabella, an open wood rank with a double set of normal mouths; the Holz Gedakt 8' has inverted mouths-a stopped Melodia. The Holz Floete 4' is an open wood Melodia with no stopped basses. The Swell Geigen Principal 8' has 12 unenclosed open wood basses; the Harmonic Floete 8' has 7 stopped wood basses, 24 melodias, and the remainder of harmonic metal pipes. The Violine 8' is a bell gamba with 12 stopped wood basses. The Rohrfloete 4' has 12 stopped wood basses with inverted mouths; the bulk of the rank is of metal chimney flutes with moveable caps. The Pedal division is divided on two 7-stop slider chests. The Viol Bass 8' has inverted mouths; the Floetenbaſs 4' is tapered."
Updated through online information from Humphrey Family. -- Restored to original condition under direction of Father Robert McAleer. Pastor Ss. Mary & Joseph Church. National Historical Organ Society reconizes this organ as the largest built by Mr. Pfeffer. Orginal wind source was restored to full functionality so that it can be manually powered. All mechanical linkages and leather connections where restored to full working order. Exterior and pipes were repaired and restored to their original appearence and integrity. The organ has 1644 pipes, 34 ranks, and 29 stops. Restoration was performed by Phil Hoenig of Fort Madison. Completed fall of 2000.
Status Note: There 1998
To be restored c. 1999 by Philip Hoenig.
Nave and organ in rear gallery: Photograph from an archival source: 1986 OHS Handbook, submitted by Paul R. Marchesano. Taken approx. 1986