Pipe Organ Database

a project of the organ historical society

Schantz Organ Co. (Opus 1534, 1978)

Originally Schantz Organ Co. (Opus 172, 1953)

Location:

Seventh Reformed Church
950 Leonard Street NW
Grand Rapids, MI 49504 US
Sanctuary
Organ ID: 41742

Update This Entry

Status and Condition:

  • This instrument's location type is: Reformed Churches (RCA, CRC, URC, PRC)
  • The organ has been altered from its original state.
  • The organ's condition is good, in regular use.
We received the most recent update for this instrument's status from Database Manager on May 13, 2018.

Technical Details:

  • Chests: EP pitman
  • 21 ranks. 1,451 pipes. 3 divisions. 2 manuals. 32 stops.
All:
  • Chest Type(s): EP pitman chests
  • Position: In side chambers at the front of the room. No visible pipes.
We received the most recent update for this division from Database Manager on May 13, 2018.
Main:
  • Manuals: 2
  • Divisions: 3
  • Stops: 32
  • Position: Console in fixed position, right.
  • Manual Compass: 61
  • Pedal Compass: 32
  • Key Action: Electrical connection from key to chest.
  • Stop Action: Electric connection between stop control and chest.
  • Console Style: Traditional style with roll top.
  • Stop Controls: Stop keys above top manual.
  • Combination Action: Adjustable combination pistons.
  • Swell Control Type: Balanced swell shoes/pedals, AGO standard placement.
  • Pedalboard Type: Concave radiating pedalboard meeting AGO Standards.
  • Has Crescendo Pedal
  • Has Tutti Reversible Toe Piston(s)
  • Has Combination Action Thumb Piston(s)
  • Has Combination Action Toe Piston(s)
  • Has Coupler Reversible Toe Piston(s)
We received the most recent update for this console from Database Manager on May 13, 2018.
Database Manager on August 04, 2009:

Identified through on-line information from Chad Boorsma. -- The organ was originally built by Schantz with 15 ranks. It was expanded a second time by Donald Haan when he added digital voices in 1997. The Great division of the organ is under expression in the right chamber, while the Swell division is under expression in the left. The digital stops are available on both manuals or the pedal. Speakers are located in the main chambers and also in the balcony for the echo sounds. A dedication concert for the expanded organ was held November 16, 1997, with Joanne Jansen at the console.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.
Source not recorded: Open In New Tab Stoplist provided by the Schantz Organ Company
We received the most recent update for this stoplist from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Instrument Images:

Console: Photograph by Chad Boorsma. Taken on 2009-08-03

Church Exterior: Photograph by Chad Boorsma. Taken on 2009-08-03

Chancel and Chamber Grillework: Photograph by Chad Boorsma. Taken on 2009-08-03

Sanctuary Interior and Chancel: Photograph by Chad Boorsma. Taken on 2009-08-03

Chancel and Console: Photograph by Chad Boorsma. Taken on 2009-08-03

Sanctuary Interior and Chancel: Photograph by Chad Boorsma. Taken on 2009-08-03

Console: Photograph by Chad Boorsma. Taken on 2009-08-03

Nave and Balcony: Photograph by Chad Boorsma. Taken on 2009-08-03

This instrument has been viewed 247 times.