According to information from the New York City Organ Project website, the organ in First Moravian Church dates to 1840, when it was built by Henry Erben for the French Episcopal Church du St. Esprit, located at Franklin and Church Streets. The organ originally had a G-compass: manuals were GGG to f' (58 notes), and the pedal compass was CCC to C (25 notes). In 1863, the French church was sold at auction, and the Erben organ was bought by the Church of the Mediator, who had the organ moved and installed in their current building. Wood reworked the instrument so that it would have a manual compass of CC to f' (54 notes), and a pedal compass of CCC to E (29 notes). Total cost of the rebuild was $600. In 1969, the organ was rebuilt by Samuel O. Donelson of New York City. In 2015, Meloni & Farrier Organbuilders restored the organ to its original G-compass and replaced the Wood attached and projecting keydesk with a recessed keydesk.
Updated through online information from Connor Annable.
The original builder was Henry Erben (1840).
Status Note: There 1969.
Bldg. was Ch. of the Mediator, Episcopal. Purchased by this congregation in 1869. Erben probably rebuilt a G-compass instrument. Rebuilt by Thomas H. Wood in 1907 ; restored Donelson 1969, 2-17rk, 16st. Manual compass originally GGG to f'(58 notes), ped. CCC to C (25 notes). Compass of Wood rebuild: CCC to f' (54 notes), ped. CCC to E (29 notes).