Pipe Organ Database

a project of the organ historical society

Casavant Frères Ltée. (Opus 2134-A, 1954)

Originally Austin Organ Co. (Opus 955, 1920)

Location:

Cathedral Church of St. Paul, Episcopal
4800 Woodward Avenue
Detroit, MI 48201 US
Organ ID: 46879

Update This Entry

Status and Condition:

  • This instrument's location type is: Episcopal and Anglican Churches
  • The organ has been rebuilt or substantially revised.
  • The organ's condition is unknown.
We received the most recent update for this instrument's status from Database Manager on May 13, 2018.

Technical Details:

  • Chests: Austin Universal Air
  • 57 ranks. 3,442 pipes. 5 divisions. 4 manuals. 47 stops. 55 registers.
All:
  • Chest Type(s): Austin Universal Air chests
  • Position: In side chambers at the front of the room. Facade pipes or case front visible.
We received the most recent update for this division from Database Manager on May 13, 2018.
Main:
  • Manuals: 4
  • Divisions: 5
  • Stops: 47
  • Registers: 55
  • Position: Console in fixed position, left.
  • Manual Compass: 61
  • Pedal Compass: 32
  • Key Action: Electrical connection from key to chest.
  • Stop Action: Electric connection between stop control and chest.
  • Console Style: Traditional style with roll top.
  • Stop Controls: Drawknobs in vertical rows on angled jambs.
  • Combination Action: Remote pneumatic/mechanical capture system.
  • Swell Control Type: Balanced swell shoes/pedals, AGO standard placement.
  • Pedalboard Type: Concave radiating pedalboard meeting AGO Standards.
  • Has Crescendo Pedal
  • Has Tutti Reversible Toe Pistons
  • Has Combination Action Thumb Pistons
  • Has Combination Action Toe Pistons
  • Has Coupler Reversible Thumb Pistons
  • Has Coupler Reversible Toe Pistons
We received the most recent update for this console from Database Manager on May 13, 2018.
Database Manager on June 15, 2010:

Identified through online information from Jeff Scofield. -- This contract was for the addition of 18 new stops and new chests and other parts; originally installed in 1920 as 4/38 Austin Op. 955; new Casavant console in 1952; rebuilt and enlarged to 4/96 in 1991 by Pilzecker. Stop and rank counts are approximate since there is no clear-cut documentation giving the stoplist after the 1954 additions.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.
Source not recorded: Open In New Tab Stoplist copied from the factory specifications
We received the most recent update for this stoplist from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Instrument Images:

Church Interior and Altar: Photograph by Jeff Scofield. Taken on 1994-04-19

This instrument has been viewed 666 times.