Pipe Organ Database

a project of the organ historical society

Casavant Frères Ltée. (Opus 412, 1910)

Location:

All Saints Anglican Cathedral
1336 Martello Street
Halifax, NS B3H 4L4 CA
Organ ID: 48167

Update This Entry

Status and Condition:

  • This instrument's location type is: Episcopal and Anglican Churches
  • The organ has been rebuilt or substantially revised.
  • The organ's condition is unknown.
We received the most recent update for this instrument's status from Database Manager on May 13, 2018.

Technical Details:

  • Chests: EP ventil
  • 50 ranks. 5 divisions. 4 manuals. 52 stops.
All:
  • Chest Type(s): EP ventil chests
  • Position: In side chambers at the front of the room. Facade pipes or case front visible.
We received the most recent update for this division from Database Manager on May 13, 2018.
Main:
  • Manuals: 4
  • Divisions: 5
  • Stops: 52
  • Position: Console in fixed position, left.
  • Manual Compass: 61
  • Pedal Compass: 32
  • Key Action: Electrical connection from key to chest.
  • Stop Action: Electric connection between stop control and chest.
  • Console Style: Traditional style with roll top.
  • Stop Controls: Drawknobs in horizontal rows on terraced/stepped jambs.
  • Combination Action: Adjustable combination pistons.
  • Swell Control Type: Balanced swell shoes/pedals.
  • Pedalboard Type: Concave radiating pedalboard.
  • Has Tutti Reversible Toe Pistons
  • Has Combination Action Thumb Pistons
  • Has Coupler Reversible Toe Pistons
We received the most recent update for this console from Database Manager on May 13, 2018.
Database Manager on October 13, 2011:

Updated through online information from Jeff Scofield.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Database Manager on June 24, 2011:

Updated through online information from The Zach.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Database Manager on June 14, 2011:

Identified through online information from The Zach. -- The original organ was installed by Casavant Frères in 1910. Although nine diapason stops were imported from England, the orchestral colours and symphonic disposition of this organ were clearly influenced by the 19th-century organs of Aristide Cavaillé-Coll.
A new organ console was added in 1943 by Casavant, no major changes were made at that time to the specification of the instrument.
The British firm of Hill, Norman & Beard replaced the Casavant console in the late 1950s and made significant additions to the organ's specification. The remodelling, voicing and artistic finishing were done by Mark Fairhead, and work was completed in 1961.
In 1996, a renovation project was carried out by Denis King, and a major renovation is presently being carried out by Hugh Knapton.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on February 11, 2019.
Source not recorded: Open In New Tab Stoplist copied from the factory specifications
We received the most recent update for this stoplist from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Instrument Images:

The database contains no images for this instrument. If you have some, please share them using the update entry button on this page.

This instrument has been viewed 281 times.