Pipe Organ Database

a project of the organ historical society

Casavant Frères Ltée. (Opus 1475, 1933)

Originally Casavant Frères Ltée. (Opus 390, 1910)

Location:

St. Andrew's Wesley United Church
1022 Nelson St.
Vancouver, BC V6E 4S7 CA
Sanctuary
Organ ID: 48247

Update This Entry

Status and Condition:

  • The organ has been rebuilt or substantially revised.
  • The organ's condition is good, in regular use.
We received the most recent update for this instrument's status from Database Manager on May 13, 2018.

Technical Details:

  • Chests: Electro-pneumatic (EP)
  • 63 ranks. 4 divisions. 3 manuals. 59 stops. 48 registers.
All:
  • Chest Type(s): Electro-pneumatic (EP) chests
  • Position: In side chambers at the front of the room. Facade pipes or case front visible.
We received the most recent update for this division from Database Manager on May 13, 2018.
Main:
  • Manuals: 3
  • Divisions: 4
  • Stops: 59
  • Registers: 48
  • Position: Console in fixed position, left.
  • Manual Compass: 61
  • Pedal Compass: 32
  • Key Action: Electrical connection from key to chest.
  • Stop Action: Electric connection between stop control and chest.
  • Console Style: Traditional style with roll top.
  • Stop Controls: Drawknobs in vertical rows on angled jambs.
  • Combination Action: Computerized/Digital system.
  • Swell Control Type: Balanced swell shoes/pedals, AGO standard placement.
  • Pedalboard Type: Concave radiating pedalboard meeting AGO Standards.
  • Has Tutti Reversible Thumb Pistons
  • Has Tutti Reversible Toe Pistons
  • Has Combination Action Thumb Pistons
  • Has Combination Action Toe Pistons
  • Has Coupler Reversible Thumb Pistons
  • Has Coupler Reversible Toe Pistons
We received the most recent update for this console from Database Manager on May 13, 2018.
Database Manager on May 23, 2012:

Updated through online information from Darryl Nixon.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Database Manager on July 08, 2011:

Identified through on-line information from Jeff Scofield. -- St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church and Wesley Methodist Church became St. Andrew's-Wesley United Church in 1925. The contract was for the setting up of Op. 390 (1910) from St. Andrew's in the new 1927 sanctuary of the merged congregation; five new stops were added to the Great as well as Chimes to the Choir; also added were a new console, three expression motors, two new swell boxes (Choir and Solo), and a new blower and windtrunk for the Echo; in 1994, Heustis Pipe Organ Associates built the organ and restored "the original pipework, incorporating other used pipes and new ranks to complete the ensemble;" the console was replaced with one from Casavant Op. 2477 (1955, First Methodist Church, Phoenix) and rebuilt; pipework from other builders had been added previously and new pipework by Martin Pasi was added by Heustis in 2001.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.
Source not recorded: Open In New Tab Stoplist copied from the factory specifications
We received the most recent update for this stoplist from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Instrument Images:

Church exterior: Photograph from an archival source: City of Vancouver Archives, submitted by The Zach. Taken approx. 1932

Chancel: Photograph from an archival source: City of Vancouver Archives, submitted by The Zach. Taken on 1944-06-29

Organ case facing chancel: Photograph from an archival source: City of Vancouver Archives, submitted by The Zach. Taken on 1944-06-29

Sanctuary: Photograph from an archival source: City of Vancouver Archives, submitted by The Zach. Taken on 1944-06-29

Rear gallery: Photograph from an archival source: City of Vancouver Archives, submitted by The Zach. Taken on 1944-06-29

Console: Photograph from an archival source: City of Vancouver Archives, submitted by The Zach. Taken approx. 1933

This instrument has been viewed 494 times.