Updated by James R. Stettner, listing this website as a source of information: http://fplex.org/index.php/music-and-choir/pipe-organ/.
According to the current parish website, \"On March 16, 1848, George Stevens, of East Cambridge, contracted with the First Congregational Society in Lexington, Massachusetts, to build "1 church organâ€. This was, as far as we know, the first organ in First Parish and in Lexington, and we have no information about its original specification and character. A second proposal by George Stevens, dated April 29, 1887, concerns the rebuilding of the original organ. This contract specifies the disposition of the stops over two manuals and pedal, details on the design of the case, and reuse of materials from the old organ. The project was never carried out and all traces of the Stevens organ have vanished. The Stevens organ was in the rear gallery of the sanctuary, as was the custom until the late 19th century.\"
This entry describes an original installation of a new pipe organ. Identified by James R. Stettner, using information from this web site: http://fpc.lexington.ma.us/index.php/building. -- The 'Our Historic Building' page of the parish website states, "...the new church was to consist of an auditorium (now referred to as the sanctuary), a vestibule and twenty-one horse sheds. The style is Federal neo-classical. Also included was a bell and an organ, with the organ to cost no more than $1200. The new structure was completed in 1847 and dedicated on February 23, 1848. The floor area of the sanctuary measures 67' x 52' 6". Floor to ceiling measures 27' 10". A small gallery or balcony, which housed the original organ and a choir loft, overhangs the auditorium 9' 7",..." Further, the page 'Our 1898 Hutchings Organ' states, "It replaced an earlier gallery organ (1848) by George Stevens of Cambridge."