Updated by Christopher Reynolds, who has heard or played the organ.
GG-f (no GG#)
The present organ in St. Paul-s Chapel was built by the celebrated New York organbuilder
Henry Erben in 1837 for St Luke-s Episcopal Church, Granville, Ohio. After a series of installations in a number of Ohio churches and the home of an antiques dealer, the organ
was purchased by Lawrence Schwartzenberger of Warsaw, Ohio, dismantled, and stored in two barns separated by 15 miles of corn fields.
In 1984 it was purchased by the Church of the Epiphany, Newton, North Carolina, which
commissioned Lawrence Trupiano of Brooklyn, New York to restore it.
During 1985, the original mechanical and tonal attributes of the organ were restored by Mr. Trupiano. An electric motor now supplies the wind, but can be superseded by the original hand pumping mechanism. The elegant Spanish mahogany cabinet has been stripped and resealed; the ornamental façade pipes and carvings have been restored with 22K gold leaf; and the keyboard has been refurbished and retains its original ivory coverings.
In 1988 the organ was purchased by St. Paul-s. The instrument was dedicated on February 26, 1989. It is the oldest organ in the city of Richmond.
Status Note: There 1998
OCH from Epiphany Episcopal, Newton, NC in 1988. Historic Organs Recital 26 Feb 1989. No pedals.
The database contains no images for this instrument. If you have some, please share them using the update entry button on this page.