Residence: Richard Kline "Auburn Springs"
7007 Spahrâ€™s Quarry Road
Thurmont, MD 21788 US
Organ ID: 59425
Altered and relocated existing organ. Identified by Paul Marchesano, using information found in 1982 AIO Convention program; 2011 OHS Hilbus Chapter Newsletter.
The Kline-Wurlitzer is comprised of the Fox-Capitol Wurlitzer organ, Washington, DC, removed from that theater in 1963 when the building was demolished, and a two manual Wurlitzer from the Manos Theater in Greensburg, Pa. Richard Kline had a complete studio designed and built for the organ at his home in Frederick County, Maryland.
The console was enlarged from three to four manuals by M. P. Moller, Inc. (1982 AIO Convention Program) The theatre pipe organ at Auburn Springs is a combination of two complete Wurlitzer organs, the first a 3 manual,10 rank instrument installed in 1926 in the New Manos Theatre in Greensburg, Pennsylvania. The second organ of 3 manuals and 15 ranks was installed in 1927 in the Fox Theatre of Washington, D.C., which was the largest theatre in Washington, D.C., with a complete orchestra and boasting nearly 3,500 seats. It was housed inside the National Press Club Building on 15th Street which is still standing, but the theatre within was completely razed.
Both organs were stored in Frederick, Maryland while the studio was built, and plans for the new instrument essentially containing both organs were drawn up. John Steele did the chamber layout and at that time all 20 regulators were releathered along with c. 7,800 pneumatics. It was estimated that the organ weighed nearly 30 tons in all. In 1962 both consoles were shipped to the M.P. Möller Organ Company in Hagerstown, Maryland, at the time the largest pipe organ company in the world. Thanks to Riley Daniels, president, and his son Peter and Nate Souders, head of the console department, a year or so later a 4 manual console emerged using the Fox console shell. The Greensburg console was sold. Much of the work was done by Warren Westervelt, then custodian of the Radio City Music Hall organ.
Three additional ranks of pipes were added, several from the Möller theatre organ at the Palace Theatre in Washington, DC, from Trivo pipe builders in Hagerstown, Maryland, and Organ Supply in Erie, Pennsylvania. In 2006, the console was rebuilt with new solid state action and keyboards by the Crome Organ Company in Reno, Nevada. The organ is installed in 5 enclosed chambers each with pneumatically operated shades for volume control. Only the grand piano and xylophone and a few percussion are in the open.
At the north end of the studio are the Solo Chamber on the right, the Main Chamber on the left and on the 3rd floor the percussion I. At the south end over the player piano is the Echo Chamber with three ranks of pipes organ chimes. Next to it is the Percussion II Chamber. There are three tibias, 3 diapasons, 4 flutes, 8 strings, and 13 ranks of reeds in the organ. Six sets of pipes extend to 16- pitch. There is a xylophone, 2 marimba-wood harps, 2 chrysoglott metal harps, a glockenspiel / orchestra bells, tuned sleigh bells, chimes, and a grand piano and 2 large tower chimes. (Dick Kline, via Hilbus Chapter Newsletter, Vol. 41, No. 9, May 2011.)
The database contains no images for this instrument. If you have some, please share them using the update entry button on this page.