A. B. Felgemaker Co. (Opus 433, 1881)

Location:

High Street Methodist Church
230 E. High St.
Springfield, OH 45505 US
Organ ID: 59702

Update This Entry

Status and Condition:

  • This instrument's location type is: Methodist Churches
  • The organ is no longer a complete instrument; dispersed/parted out.
  • The organ's condition is unknown.
We received the most recent update for this instrument's status from Database Manager on May 13, 2018.

Technical Details:

  • Chests: Information unknown or not applicable
All:
We received the most recent update for this division from Database Manager on May 13, 2018.
Main:
We received the most recent update for this console from Database Manager on May 13, 2018.
Database Manager on May 05, 2017:

Updated by J. A. Hefner, listing conversations with this person as the source of the information: Aaron M. Tellers (Tellers Organ Co.).
According to email correspondence with Aaron M. Tellers (Tellers Organ Co., with ABF archives), three Felgemaker organs were installed in Springfield, Ohio in 1881 - opus 429, 430, 433. Opus 430 was Christ Episcopal [relocated to Trinity Episcopal in London, 1918], and the other two were installed in St. Paul Methodist and High Street Methodist.
Mr. Tellers presumes they were shipped and installed at the same time; no spec sheet exists but the three apparently were similar.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Database Manager on May 04, 2017:

Updated by J. A. Hefner, naming this as the source of information: Dan Walter, High Str. UMC history.
Not long after installation, the organ fell out of tune and required service. Felgemaker had agreed to service it for a year, but church trustees frequently had to write him to ensure that contract was upheld. Unsurprisingly, the organ was virtually unusable at the end of its life.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Database Manager on December 08, 2016:

This entry describes an original installation of a new pipe organ. Identified by J. A. Hefner, using information found in High Str. UMC history by Dan Walter, 2016.
High Str. previously used a reed organ. The new Felgemaker pipe organ was installed in 1881 (cost $1950); the church was electrified ca. late 1890s but the organ may not have been.
It was reinstalled in 1904 when the church was rebuilt, and it was officially in disrepair by 1936 church report. By summer 1941, the organ often didn't work at all, leading to discussion about replacing it with an "electric" [electro-pneumatic] one, along with chancel renovation (enter Schantz).
The Felgemaker was removed in 1941, though "a few pipes" were reused in the 1942 Schantz organ, but the grand majority of the new organ was Schantz-built.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.
Pipe Organs of High Street Methodist: Open In New Tab Summary description of pipe organs in the church's history
We received the most recent update for this document from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Instrument Images:

Archive Photograph provided by Dan Walter and courtesy of J. A. Hefner: Sanctuary Interior, Chancel, and Pipe Facade (1941).

Archive Photograph provided by Dan Walter and courtesy of J. A. Hefner: Sanctuary Interior, Chancel, and Pipe Facade (prior to 1942).

Closeup of organ in chancel: Archival photograph provided by Dan Walter, courtesy of J. A. Hefner (1941).

Church Exterior: Vintage Postcard, courtesy of T. Bradford Willis, DDS (1908).

Church Exterior of 1851 Building (original organ installation): Photo in Clark County Historical Society records, courtesy of J. A. Hefner (before 1903).

Organ in 1851 Sanctuary (original organ installation): Photo in Clark County Historical Society archives, courtesy of J. A. Hefner (before 1903).

Chancel, Console and Facade in 1851 Sanctuary (original organ installation): Photo in Clark County Historical Society archives, courtesy of J. A. Hefner (before 1903).

This instrument has been viewed 566 times.