This entry describes an original installation of a new pipe organ.
Identified by Steven Bartley, using information found in Sun Papers- 9/ 7/1847, 10/16/1847,3/12/1859,10/3/1859.
Founded in the early 1760s they has built their third building , 1790, at Fayette & North St. There has not been any details concerning a previous organ, prior to the Erben, though there has been a mention that one existed.
The Sun papers, Sept. 7, 1847 and Oct. 16, 1847 announced the new Erben organ as having 37 stops, nearly 2000 pipes, with the longest being nearly 22 feet long, contains about 100 cubic feet and cost $5,000.
In 1859 the congregation moved uptown, to a fancy brownstone Gothic building, their present home. Two Sun Paper articles, Mar. 12, 1859/ Oct3, 1859, commented on the organ, which was the same Erben organ , installed in a new Gothic case of walnut, designed by local architects Lind & Murdoch, which was installed in the rear balcony.
The Erben organ was replaced, in 1888, by a Roosevelt organ.
The database contains no images for this instrument. If you have some, please share them using the update entry button on this page.