Pipe Organ Database

a project of the organ historical society

J. H. & C. S. Odell & Co. (Opus 263, 1888)

Location:

Union Reformed of Highbridge
1272 Ogden Ave.
New York City: The Bronx, NY 10452 US
Organ ID: 6023

Update This Entry

Status and Condition:

  • This instrument's location type is: Reformed Churches (RCA, CRC, URC, PRC)
  • The organ is unaltered from its original state.
  • The organ's condition is not playable.
We received the most recent update for this instrument's status from Jeff Scofield on November 10, 2020.

Technical Details:

  • Chests: Slider
  • 11 ranks. 3 divisions. 2 manuals. 12 stops. 12 registers.
All:
  • Chest Type(s): Slider chests
We received the most recent update for this division from Database Manager on May 13, 2018.
Main:
  • Manuals: 2
  • Divisions: 3
  • Stops: 12
  • Registers: 12
  • Manual Compass: 58
  • Pedal Compass: 27
  • Key Action: Mechanical connection from key to chest (tracker, sticker or mix).
  • Combination Action: No combination action.
We received the most recent update for this console from Jeff Scofield on November 10, 2020.
Jeff Scofield on November 10, 2020:

The Highbridge Community Church was organized on January 1, 2006 when a group of elders and deacons from Fordham Manor Reformed Church, led by Pastor Irving Rivera and Elder Cora Taitt, decided to reestablish a congregation in the Highbridge area of The Bronx. The new congregation acquired the former Union Reformed Church on Ogden Avenue, a society that existed from 1860 until it disbanded in 2005.
Designed by Alfred E. Barlow in the Richardsonian Romanesque style, the edifice was built between 1887 and 1888 by D.C. Weeks & Son of New York City. The one-story structure is constructed of rock-faced gneiss ashlar with red sandstone trim, and features a taller square bell tower at the southeast corner. At the east end of the building, where the altar is located, there is a stained-glass rose window manufactured by the Tiffany Glass Co. in 1889. The completed church was dedicated on Thursday evening, December 6, 1888. In November 2010, the building was designated a landmark by the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission. On December 20, 1888, an Agreement for a new organ was signed by J.H. & C.S. Odell and the trustees of the Union Reformed Church of Highbridge, N.Y. Odell provided their "Size No. 8" organ that had 18 registers and 10 stops, playable from two manuals of 58 notes each and a pedal of 27 notes. The organ cost $1,600 and was to be set up and complete on or before April 15, 1889. A handwritten note on the specification sheet states that an Aeoline 8' was added later. The blower for the organ was disconnected following Superstorm Sandy in 2012.

We received the most recent update for this note from Jeff Scofield on November 10, 2020.
Larry Trupiano via the NYC AGO NYC Organ Project: Open In New Tab
We received the most recent update for this stoplist from Jeff Scofield on November 10, 2020.

Instrument Images:

Chancel and organ case: Photograph by David Schmauch via the NYC AGO NYC Organ Project, submitted by Jeff Scofield. Taken on 2014-05-18

Church exterior: Photograph by David Schmauch via the NYC AGO NYC Organ Project, submitted by Jeff Scofield. Taken on 2014-05-18

Console: Photograph by David Schmauch via the NYC AGO NYC Organ Project, submitted by Jeff Scofield. Taken on 2014-05-18

Left stopjamb: Photograph by David Schmauch via the NYC AGO NYC Organ Project, submitted by Jeff Scofield. Taken on 2014-05-18

Right stopjamb: Photograph by David Schmauch via the NYC AGO NYC Organ Project, submitted by Jeff Scofield. Taken on 2014-05-18

Pipe Organs in New York sponsored by:
This instrument has been viewed 117 times.