A. B. Felgemaker Co. (Opus 703, 1899)

Location:

Central Methodist Episcopal Church
High Street/Center Street
Springfield, OH 45502 US
Organ ID: 60254

Update This Entry

Status and Condition:

  • This instrument's location type is: Methodist Churches
  • The organ has an unknown or unreported status.
  • The organ's condition is unknown.
We received the most recent update for this instrument's status from Database Manager on May 13, 2018.

Technical Details:

  • Chests: Slider
  • 15 ranks. 2 manuals. 15 stops. 16 registers.
All:
  • Chest Type(s): Slider chests
We received the most recent update for this division from Database Manager on May 13, 2018.
Main:
  • Manuals: 2
  • Stops: 15
  • Registers: 16
  • Manual Compass: 61
  • Pedal Compass: 30
  • Key Action: Mechanical connection from key to chest (tracker, sticker or mix).
  • Stop Action: Mechanical connection between stop control and chest.
We received the most recent update for this console from Database Manager on May 13, 2018.
Database Manager on June 05, 2017:

This entry describes an original installation of a new pipe organ.br> Identified by J. A. Hefner, citing information from this publication: "A Brief History of Central United Methodist Church, 1805-1980" by Harry C. Laybourne, 1982.
This organ was installed in a church building constructed 1864. According to the factory record [courtesy Aaron M. Tellers], the order was received 14 July 1889, shipping out 16 Dec. Due to the congregation's massive expansion, the church decided to rebuild, and a lot was leased at the corner of High Str. and Lowry Ave., where a large frame tabernacle was constructed [capacity 1100], ca. Sept 1911.

The Felgemaker was moved there before May 1912, when the old church was demolished, and it [plus stenciled façade pipes] can be seen in a 1912 photograph.

On 21 Sept 1914, the new building was used for a Men's Brotherhood club meeting, and on the morning of 27 Sept, the congregation and Sunday School [approx. 1400-1500 people] marched up High Str. to the new building, where the Pilcher organ had been installed.

The factory ledger mentions Jas. Myers, Esq. and some other names, but the only Myers in the Laybourne history are Warren A. and Wilbur J. Meyers, who gifted the Pilcher organ (sold to Second Baptist Church, Springfield OH in 1960).

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on February 11, 2019.
From factory log: Open In New Tab Typed specification
We received the most recent update for this stoplist from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Stoplist from Felgemaker factory log, courtesy Aaron M. Tellers (Tellers Organ Co.): Open In New Tab Original document from J. A. Hefner. Originally published 2017-06-06
We received the most recent update for this stoplist from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.
Felgemaker opus 703 factory log: Open In New Tab PDF of the factory order for ABF opus 703
We received the most recent update for this document from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Instrument Images:

ABF opus 703 [note stencilled facade pipes] in High Str/Lowry Ave temporary tabernacle, ca. 1912: Archival photo courtesy Harry C. Laybourne and J. A. Hefner (ca. 1912).

This instrument has been viewed 321 times.