A. B. Felgemaker Co. (Opus 801, 1903)

Location:

First Congregational Church
26 S. Center Street
Springfield, OH 45502 US
Organ ID: 60278

Update This Entry

Status and Condition:

  • This instrument's location type is: Congregational Church
  • The organ has an unknown or unreported status.
  • The organ's condition is unknown.
We received the most recent update for this instrument's status from Database Manager on April 07, 2019.

Technical Details:

  • Chests: Information unknown or not applicable
All:
We received the most recent update for this division from Database Manager on April 07, 2019.
Main:
We received the most recent update for this console from Database Manager on April 07, 2019.
Database Manager on April 07, 2019:

Updated by J. A. Hefner, who gave this as the source of the information: Newspaper article from 1950 at Clark County Historical Society.

In 1930, the High Street Christian Church [home of a Pilcher organ] and First Congregational Church voted to merge, which took place in 1931. They used the First Congregational building, and it was still used as a church by 1950.

The structure is still in place, but in poor condition with the steeples long gone. The organ may still be in there, but not sure.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 08, 2019.

Database Manager on July 15, 2017:

Updated by J. A. Hefner, listing conversations with this person as the source of the information: Aaron M. Tellers.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Database Manager on June 10, 2017:

This entry describes an original installation of a new pipe organ.
Identified by J. A. Hefner, citing information from this publication: "20th Century History of Springfield, and Clark County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens" by William M. Rockel, 1908.
In late December 1902, the First Congregational Church on S. Center St. burned. It had contained ABF Opus 500 since the 1890s, when it was installed as part of a series of renovations and expansions.

The church was rebuilt in the same spot, and the new building was ready by summer 1903, and it contained ABF Opus 801. The church was apparently incorporated in 1930, and it is referenced in newspaper articles up to 1944, but I don't know what happened to it after that.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Instrument Images:

Church Exterior: Photo in Clark County Historical Society archive, courtesy of J. A. Hefner (June 1929).

This instrument has been viewed 445 times.