This entry describes an original installation of a new pipe organ.
Identified by Steven Bartley, citing information from this publication: Sun Paper Apr 17, 1868;pg4 & Nov 5, 1894;Nov 5 pg12.
Built in 1865, in a new suburb of the city, the Trinity congregation was one of the several splinter sub-denominations of the Methodist church, their difference being their pro slavery stance. The building was designed by the city's popular Niernsee & Neilson architecture firm in one of that firm's popular Gothic styles. The 1868 Sun Paper article was announcing both a new pastor and new Erben organ.
(this copy of the newspaper's article includes its spelling and grammatical errors"
".......A New and Elegant Church Organ.- The congregation worshiping at
Trinity M.E. Church, on Madison avenue, have just had erected in the church a new and elegant organ, manufactured by Henry Erben, the celebrated organ builder of New York. It is contained in a rich gothic black walnut case, has two sets of keys, two octaves of pedals, twenty-three stops, and about 1,000 pipes, and though moderate in size, has all the the requirements necessary for effective church music. The reed stops are especially fine, while the foundation stops omit a volume of tone unusual for an organ of the size.
The pipes are excellently voice; whilst the workmanship and materials appear to be of the best quality. The cost was about $4,000. At the grand concert of sacred music, on Tuesday night, at Trinity, when a very large attendance was present, notwithstanding
the unpleasant weather, the organ was used for the first time, giving entire satisfaction.
In 1894 the organ was redesigned by Adam Stein and moved to the front of the building.
The church sold the building in 1919, moving to Liberty Heights & Wabash Aves. The old building was turned into a bakery, then demolished (1938) as part of a slum clearance program.
The database contains no images for this instrument. If you have some, please share them using the update entry button on this page.