Pipe Organ Database

a project of the organ historical society

Andover Organ Co. (Opus R-268, 1986)

Originally E. & G. G. Hook (Opus 371, 1865)

Location:

First Baptist Church
848 Beacon Street
Newton Centre, MA 02459 US
Organ ID: 6384

Update This Entry

Status and Condition:

  • This instrument's location type is: Baptist Churches
  • The organ is unaltered from its original state.
  • The organ's condition is unknown.
We received the most recent update for this instrument's status from Database Manager on May 13, 2018.

Technical Details:

  • Chests: Slider
  • 30 ranks. 1,533 pipes. 3 divisions. 2 manuals. 26 stops. 26 registers.
All:
  • Chest Type(s): Slider chests
  • Position: In a case at the front of the room.
We received the most recent update for this division from Database Manager on May 13, 2018.
Main:
  • Manuals: 2
  • Divisions: 3
  • Stops: 26
  • Registers: 26
  • Position: Keydesk attached.
  • Manual Compass: 56
  • Pedal Compass: 30
  • Key Action: Mechanical connection from key to chest (tracker, sticker or mix).
  • Stop Action: Mechanical connection between stop control and chest.
  • Console Style: Traditional style with a keyboard cover that can be lifted to form a music rack.
  • Stop Controls: Drawknobs in horizontal rows on terraced/stepped jambs.
  • Swell Control Type: Balanced swell shoes/pedals.
  • Pedalboard Type: Flat straight pedalboard.
We received the most recent update for this console from Database Manager on May 13, 2018.
Database Manager on September 15, 2008:

Updated through online information from James R. Stettner. -- Firstly, a correction. Opus 371 was originally built for Mount Pleasant Unitarian in Roxbury, MA. Whether that building was later occupied by First A.M.E. (likely) or the organ was moved to First A.M.E. is not presently documented. Opus 371 came to First Baptist without its case. So it was installed inside the restored casework of the church's 1901 Hook & Hastings, Opus 1906. The case was narrowed by Andover to its original configuration - having previously been widened by the Frazee Organ Co. in the 1950's. In narrowing the case, the two blocked chancel windows again became visible. The facade pipes are painted in a burnt orange color with stencilled green vines "growing" up the pipes. The Great IV Mixture is actually III-IV. The organ was dedicated on Sunday April 20, 1986 by guest organist Brian Jones. Source: extant organ documented March 1988.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Database Manager on November 30, 2007:

Updated through online information from Lisa Lucius.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Database Manager on October 30, 2004:

The original builder was E. & G. G. Hook (1865, Opus 371).

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Database Manager on October 30, 2004:

Status Note: There 2000.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Database Manager on October 30, 2004:

From 1st A. M. E., Boston via the Noack shop, Georgetown, MA. Replaced the church's previous 1901, EP, 3m. E. & G. G. Hook & Hastings, Op. 1906. Some pipework from Op. 1906 was used; 2 new pedal stops. 1901 case used. Stencilled front pipes. [Some pipes from Op. 371 were used in the Mechanics Hall restoration.] Also pipework from E & G. G. Hook Op. 238 (1858) and Op. 910 (1877) were used.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Instrument Images:

Sanctuary Interior and Organ Case: Photograph by William T. Van Pelt.

Pipe Organs in Massachusetts sponsored by:
This instrument has been viewed 269 times.