Unknown Builder (1863)

Originally Henry Erben (1840)

Location:

First Moravian Church
154 Lexington Avenue
New York City: Manhattan, NY 10016 US
Organ ID: 64312

Update This Entry

Status and Condition:

  • This instrument's location type is: Moravian Churches / Unity of the Brethren
  • The organ has been altered from its original state.
  • The organ's condition is unknown.
We received the most recent update for this instrument's status from Database Manager on August 13, 2019.

Technical Details:

  • Chests: Slider
  • 3 divisions. 2 manuals. 21 stops.
All:
  • Chest Type(s): Slider chests
We received the most recent update for this division from Database Manager on August 13, 2019.
Main:
  • Manuals: 2
  • Divisions: 3
  • Stops: 21
  • Position: Keydesk attached, manuals set into case.
  • Manual Compass: 58
  • Pedal Compass: 25
  • Key Action: Mechanical connection from key to chest (tracker, sticker or mix).
  • Stop Action: Mechanical connection between stop control and chest.
  • Stop Controls: Drawknobs in vertical rows on flat jambs.
  • Pedalboard Type: Flat straight pedalboard.
We received the most recent update for this console from Database Manager on August 13, 2019.
Database Manager on August 12, 2019:

This organ was originally built in 1840 for the French Episcopal Church du St. Esprit, located at Franklin and Church Streets in New York City. The 1840 organ originally had a G-compass: manuals were GGG to f' (58 notes), and the pedal compass was CCC to C (25 notes). In 1863, the French church was sold at auction, and the Erben organ was bought by the Episcopal Church of the Mediator, who had the organ moved and installed in their current building. That building was purchased with the organ by First Moravian in 1869.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on August 13, 2019.

Instrument Images:

The database contains no images for this instrument. If you have some, please share them using the update entry button on this page.

Pipe Organs in New York sponsored by:
This instrument has been viewed 530 times.