The parish of Christ the King was established in the late 1920s and would be the only Catholic church along the Grand Concourse in the Bronx. Plans were made to erect a combination church and school building, but only the church was completed before the onset of the Depression. Cardinal Hayes dedicated the basement church on September 15, 1929. The school was eventually constructed above the basement church, and was dedicated on September 12, 1965. The organ in Christ the King Church, built by the Delaware Organ Company, was installed around 1965, possibly contemporary with the opening of the school. Located in the rear of the church, the organ is controlled by a detached two-manual stop-key console. A site visit in 2013 found the pipes to be in fairly good condition, although the entire organ needed a thorough cleaning. The console is missing its rolltop and is in generally poor shape.We received the most recent update for this note from Jeff Scofield on November 10, 2020.
Console: Photograph by David Schmauch via the NYC AGO NYC Organ Project, submitted by Jeff Scofield. Taken on 2009-01-09