Updated through online information from Alex Fries. -- The church has been demolished. The organ was dismantled and put into storage by the Organ Clearinghouse company.
Updated through online information from Carl Scott Zimmerman. -- Under the right end of the keydesk is a swing-out auxiliary keyboard for playing the 20-bell tower chime, which was cast by McShane of Baltimore in 1895. The mechanism is electro-pneumatic, with a rack of individual bellows (one per bell) in the tower room behind the organ, directly below the chimestand, which is on the next higher level within the tower. This mechanism must have been constructed by an organbuilder, and is possibly unique among North American chimes. Depressing a key on the auxiliary keyboard causes a valve to open, exactly as in operating an organ pipe except that it allows air into a normally-closed bellows. The resulting expansion of the bellows pulls down a wire which passes through the ceiling of the room and through a hole drilled in the appropriate handle (key, lever) of the chimestand, thus pulling down that handle and causing the bell to ring. Since the chime was installed a few years after the organ, and since the chimestand was modified when this additional mechanism was installed, it seems likely that this additional mechanism was installed at an even later date. I cannot hazard even a guess at who did it or when, except that it is quite old.
Updated through online information from Stephan Drexler. -- this organ is in need of repair and restoration by someone familiar with Roosevelt action as many repairs were done in the past and poorly causing the organ to cipher whenever the air is dry. None of the key or stop valves have ever been replaced and are well over 100 years old and don't seal well. The return springs on the pipe pneumatics are too weak and don't close all the time, and the gaskets are mostly 1891 vintage as well. When it plays it is one of the most glorious small organs you will ever hear but that is becoming more rare as time goes on.
Status Note: There 1984
Organ under protective cover during church demolition: Photograph by Alex Fries. Taken on 2013-01-17