St. Andrew and St. Paul Church, Presbyterian
3415 Redpath St.
Montréal, QC H3G 2G2 CA
Organ ID: 67707
From the church website: The organ of the Church of St. Andrew and St. Paul was built in 1931 by the renowned Casavant Frères of Ste. Hyacinthe, as that firm’s opus #1457. It is one of the largest instruments on the island of Montreal, containing nearly 7,000 pipes. About 70% of the pipes are located in the chancel; the other pipes speak from the rear gallery. Only the Trompette en chamade (installed in 1992) is visible, mounted prominently below the Black Watch window.
The instrument was cleaned and overhauled by Casavant in 1976-77, and several stops and a new console were added by Caron, Gagnon, Baumgarten in 1992. The tonal work of these rebuilds lent the instrument a neo-baroque flavour, but was unfortunately of uneven technical and musical quality. The console was rebuilt by Casavant in 2001. A gradual tonal renovation of the organ has been ongoing since 2010, whose goal is to replace the 1970s and 1990s-era neo-classical stops with pipework of the early 20th century, of superior material and tonal quality. Like all of the Casavant instruments built between ca. 1890 and 1960, op. 1457 was conceived in the late-Romantic Anglo-American style, and remains a monumental essay in the genre.
Church interior: Photograph from an archival source: Church Facebook, submitted by Jeff Scofield. Taken on 2014-04-20
Console and church interior: Photograph from an archival source: Church Facebook, submitted by Jeff Scofield. Taken on 2016-07-25
Trompette-en-Chamade: Photograph from an archival source: Church Facebook, submitted by Jeff Scofield. Taken on 2015-01-19