A. B. Felgemaker Co. (Opus 561, 1893)

Location:

St. Clement Episcopal Church
101 Clinton St.
Greenville, PA 16125 US
Sanctuary; front
Organ ID: 6826

Update This Entry

Status and Condition:

  • This instrument's location type is: Episcopal and Anglican Churches
  • The organ has been altered from its original state.
  • The organ's condition is good, in regular use.
We received the most recent update for this instrument's status from Jim Stettner on May 21, 2022.

Technical Details:

  • Chests: Slider
  • 8 ranks. 2 divisions. 2 manuals. 8 stops. 10 registers.
All:
  • Chest Type(s): Slider chests
  • Position: In side chambers at the front of the room. Facade pipes or case front visible.
We received the most recent update for this division from Database Manager on May 13, 2018.
Main:
  • Manuals: 2
  • Divisions: 2
  • Stops: 8
  • Registers: 10
  • Position: Keydesk attached.
  • Key Action: Mechanical connection from key to chest (tracker, sticker or mix).
  • Stop Action: Mechanical connection between stop control and chest.
  • Console Style: Traditional style without cover.
  • Stop Controls: Drawknobs in vertical rows on flat jambs.
  • Combination Action: No combination action.
  • Swell Control Type: Balanced swell shoes/pedals, not in standard AGO position.
  • Pedalboard Type: Flat straight pedalboard.
We received the most recent update for this console from Database Manager on May 13, 2018.
Database Manager on May 05, 2017:

Updated by John K. Wise, who has heard or played the organ.
This was an original Felgemaker Model 5. At some point the 8' Melodia was removed from the great and replaced with a 2' Fifteenth. All the other stops are original. The organ originally had a pump bellows that was electrified c. 1917. That was removed and replaced with a modern electric blower at a later date. The keyboard cover and music desk were removed at some point and replaced by a modern music rack with an electric light. The pedalboard, stop jambs, manual "cheeks" are all rebuilds, and the Felgemaker name stencil was removed at some point. The lower half of the case has been painted white (in the 1950s) and a colonial style facade has been built around the facade pipes (not original to the instrument.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Database Manager on October 30, 2004:

Status Note: There 1997

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Database Manager on October 30, 2004:

The room next to the organ in the 154-year-old church was settling, causing damage. The organ was literally tearing itself apart. Pipes had to be straightened out, nicks and dents removed, and then the organ needed to be revoiced. Refurbished 1990's by Paul Fisher.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.
Taken from the console: Open In New Tab Originally published July 15, 2016
We received the most recent update for this stoplist from Jim Stettner on May 21, 2022.
Newspaper Clipping: Open In New Tab The organ must have originally used a water motor for the bellows
We received the most recent update for this document from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Instrument Images:

Organ Case and Keydesk: Photograph by John K. Wise. Taken on 2016-07-15

Keydesk: Photograph by John K. Wise. Taken on 2016-07-15

Expression Pedal: Photograph by John K. Wise. Taken on 2016-07-15

Pedalboard and Expression Pedal: Photograph by John K. Wise. Taken on 2016-07-15

Church exterior: Photograph from an archival source: Church Facebook page, submitted by Jim Stettner. Taken on 2016-07-12

Pipe Organs in the Philadelphia area sponsored by:
This instrument has been viewed 825 times.