Pipe Organ Database

a project of the organ historical society

C. S. Haskell [Haskell Pipe Organ Manufacturing Co.] (1918)

Location:

North Baptist Church
4th and Linden Streets
Camden, NJ 08102 US
Organ ID: 68739

Update This Entry

Status and Condition:

  • This instrument's location type is: Baptist Churches
  • The organ has been rebuilt or substantially revised.
  • The organ's condition is not playable.
We received the most recent update for this instrument's status from Paul R. Marchesano on October 19, 2021.

Technical Details:

  • 54 ranks.
Paul R. Marchesano on October 19, 2021:

Gift of Mr. Ayer. Dedicated April 14, 1918 by Mr. B.H. Daniell, the organist [of the church] and Dr. J.M.E. Ward, president of the Philadelphia Society of Organists. Contract let June, 1917. "The new organ has been awaited eagerly and patiently by the congregation for a year...The contract for the new organ was let in June. It would have been completed months ago but for industrial complications and the coal shortage, both due to the war." -- from The Morning Post (Camden, New Jersey) · 13 Apr 1918, Sat · Page 3 [See documents tab for the full article]

We received the most recent update for this note from Paul R. Marchesano on March 10, 2022.

Paul R. Marchesano on July 12, 2021:

Known from mention in newpaper articles and referenced in church histories. Possibly a rebuild of 1882 organ in previous building at 2nd & Pearl Streets. However, in 1895 J.B. Didinger installed a "new three manual pipe organ", which may or may not have included material from the 1882 instrument. The Estey Opus List confirms they added an Echo Division in 1931 and provided a new console in 1938. This brief timeline extracted from church histories shows a regular expansion and rebuildig of the organ through 1938:

1882: A new organ, costing two thousand dollars, was placed in the gallery. 1904: The church maintained a high degree of efficiency; the galleries were extended, organ enlarged and choruses established for the free musical instruction of boys and girls... 1917: While he was pastor, in 1917, Mr. Ayer presented as a memorial to his wife, Rhandena Gilman Ayer, an organ which was said to be the finest in South Jersey. It was unique because it really was four organs combined into one. It was controlled by electric shutters. 1931: Echo Division added by Estey. [Although the 1917-18 Haskell organ had an Echo Organ - Estey may have expanded it] 1938: In 1938 a new console for the organ was presented by Mrs. Fry in memory of her husband, Wilfred W. Fry, making our organ rank as one of the best in this part of the state.

We received the most recent update for this note from Paul R. Marchesano on March 10, 2022.
Mr. Ayer's Gift Really 4 Organs: Open In New Tab Article reporting the dedication of the organ on following day
Document created on 1918-04-13
We received the most recent update for this document from Paul R. Marchesano on October 19, 2021.

Instrument Images:

The database contains no images for this instrument. If you have some, please share them using the update entry button on this page.

This instrument has been viewed 148 times.