Wicks Organ Co. (Opus 4374, 1963)

Location:

Norwegian / Ascension / Golden Gate Lutheran Church
19th and Dolores Streets
San Francisco, CA US
Sanctuary; front
Organ ID: 69580

Update This Entry

Status and Condition:

  • This instrument's location type is: Lutheran Churches
  • The organ has been relocated.
  • The organ's condition is unknown.
We received the most recent update for this instrument's status from Jim Stettner on November 07, 2021.

Technical Details:

  • Chests: Wicks Direct Electric
  • 20 ranks. 3 divisions. 2 manuals. 17 stops.
Great:
  • Chest Type(s): Wicks Direct Electric chests
  • Position: Pipes exposed (in whole or in part) at the front of the room.
  • Built by Wicks Organ Co.
We received the most recent update for this division from Jim Stettner on November 07, 2021.

Swell (Expressive):
  • Chest Type(s): Wicks Direct Electric chests
  • Position: In center chambers at the front of the room. Facade pipes or case front visible.
  • Built by Wicks Organ Co.
We received the most recent update for this division from Jim Stettner on November 07, 2021.

Pedal:
  • Chest Type(s): Wicks Direct Electric chests
  • Position: Pipes exposed (in whole or in part) at the front of the room.
  • Built by Wicks Organ Co.
We received the most recent update for this division from Jim Stettner on November 07, 2021.
Main:
  • Built by Wicks Organ Co.
  • Manuals: 2
  • Divisions: 3
  • Stops: 17
  • Manual Compass: 61
  • Pedal Compass: 32
  • Key Action: Electrical connection from key to chest.
  • Stop Action: Electric connection between stop control and chest.
  • Console Style: Traditional style with roll top.
  • Stop Controls: Stop keys above top manual.
  • Combination Action: Adjustable combination pistons.
  • Swell Control Type: Balanced swell shoes/pedals, AGO standard placement.
  • Pedalboard Type: Concave radiating pedalboard meeting AGO Standards.
  • Has Crescendo Pedal
  • Has Combination Action Thumb Pistons
We received the most recent update for this console from Jim Stettner on November 07, 2021.
Jim Stettner on November 07, 2021:

Identified from the Wicks opus list.

The congregation began as Our Saviour's Lutheran Church in the Market District. In 1916-17, they merged with Bethlehem Lutheran and renamed as Norwegian Lutheran. In 1930, they relocated to the Market District and purchased an existing church acoss from Dolores Park. In 1959 the congregation rededicated itself as Ascension Lutheran and later it became Golden Gate Lutheran. The building was seized by the city and county of San Francisco, after the congregation ignored orders to seismically retrofit the building - which was cost was estiated at $8 Million. The building was then sold, with some of the funds being distributed to congregations in San Francisco and the remaining funds given to the Sierra Pacific Synod.

The Wicks pipe organ found a new home at Holy Trinity Lutheran Church in Des Moines, Washington through the efforts of Dr. Edward Meyer - Prof. Emeritus of Martin Luther College in New Ulm, MN. The ogan was removed in January by Michigan rgan builder Richard T. Swanson and volunteers from the Golden Gate Lutheran Church. It was reinstalled in Holy Trinity in 2008 by Richard T. Swanson with three ranks added.

We received the most recent update for this note from Jim Stettner on November 07, 2021.

Instrument Images:

Church when Norwegian Lutheran: Photograph from an archival source: ELCA Blogspot, submitted by Jim Stettner. Taken approx. 1941

Church when Ascension Lutheran: Photograph from an archival source: ELCA Blogspot, submitted by Jim Stettner. Taken approx. 1964

Church as Golden Gate Lutheran: Photograph from an archival source: ELCA Blogspot, submitted by Jim Stettner. Taken approx. ca. 2007

Exposed pipes in front: Photograph by Richard T. Swanson, submitted by Jim Stettner. Taken approx. ca. 2007

This instrument has been viewed 188 times.