Pipe Organ Database

a project of the organ historical society

The D. W. Karn Co., Ltd. (1875)

Originally The D. W. Karn Co., Ltd. (1868-1870)

Location:

Wallaceburg Methodist Church
Nelson Street
Wallaceburg, ON CA
Sanctuary
Organ ID: 69651

Update This Entry

Status and Condition:

  • This instrument's location type is: Methodist Churches
  • The organ has an unknown or unreported status.
  • The organ's condition is unknown.
We received the most recent update for this instrument's status from Ian Mason on November 17, 2021.
Brad Engelland on November 19, 2021:

Per Ian Mason on November 18, 2021, this church was replaced by First Methodist Church on Wellington St. in 1914.

We received the most recent update for this note from Brad Engelland on November 19, 2021.

Ian Mason on November 17, 2021:

This organ was originally installed in Metropolitan Methodist Church, Toronto. "In 1914, this same organ was . . . retained by the Karn Company who marvelled at its condition, being one of the first units produced by the company." (pg. 4) "This fine . . . used organ from Metropolitan Methodist Church in Toronto when the church [Wallaceburg Methodist Church] opened on Nelson Street in 1875, was beautifully adorned. Five centre pipes, flanked on either side by sets of three, was surrounded by beautifully grained woodwork. When the Methodist Church [on Nelson St.] closed, the Karn Company of Woodstock [Ontario] retained this outstanding heritage item, a testimony to its beauty and antiquity." (pg. 49)

Source: Evelyn Glendinning and Alan Mann. Trinity, History of the Methodist and United Church in Wallaceburg, 1842-1992. Wallaceburg, ON: the church; printed by Standard Press, Wallaceburg, 1992.

We received the most recent update for this note from Ian Mason on November 17, 2021.

Instrument Images:

Organ facade: Photograph from an archival source: unknown, submitted by Ian Mason. Taken approx. 1890

This instrument has been viewed 50 times.