The Protestant Episcopal Church of the Crucifixion was organized in 1847 as the second predominantly African-American Episcopal Church in Philadelphia, settling into a church building at 807 Bainbridge St. in 1884. Architect Isaac Pursell designed the building, which doesn’t come as much of a surprise considering that he designed countless churches in the area in the late part of the 19th and early part of the 20th century. The church was ravaged by fire and rebuilt to the same plan in 1902, again under the supervision of Isaac Pursell. The church closed and the main church building isbeing used by La Iglesia Histórica la Crucifixion. The remainder of the property is slated to be developed into condominiums.