Pipe Organ Database

a project of the organ historical society

W. W. Kimball Co. (1910)

Location:

First Presbyterian Church
114 SW 8th Street
Corvallis, OR 97333 US
Sanctuary; front
Organ ID: 69851

Update This Entry

Status and Condition:

  • This instrument's location type is: Presbyterian Churches
  • The organ has been rebuilt or substantially revised.
  • The organ's condition is unknown.
We received the most recent update for this instrument's status from Jim Stettner on December 12, 2021.

Technical Details:

  • Chests: Pneumatic
  • 3 divisions. 2 manuals.
Great:
  • Chest Type(s): Pneumatic chests
  • Position: In a case at the front of the room.
  • Built by W. W. Kimball Co.
We received the most recent update for this division from Jim Stettner on December 09, 2021.

Swell (Expressive):
  • Chest Type(s): Pneumatic chests
  • Position: In a case at the front of the room.
  • Built by W. W. Kimball Co.
We received the most recent update for this division from Jim Stettner on December 09, 2021.

Pedal:
  • Chest Type(s): Pneumatic chests
  • Position: In a case at the front of the room.
  • Built by W. W. Kimball Co.
We received the most recent update for this division from Jim Stettner on December 09, 2021.
Main:
  • Built by W. W. Kimball Co.
  • Manuals: 2
  • Divisions: 3
  • Position: Keydesk attached.
  • Manual Compass: 61
  • Pedal Compass: 30
  • Key Action: Tubular-pneumatic connection from key to chest.
  • Stop Action: Tubular-pneumatic connection between stop control and chest.
  • Console Style: Traditional style with a keyboard cover that can be lifted to form a music rack.
  • Stop Controls: Drawknobs in vertical rows on angled jambs.
  • Combination Action: Adjustable combination pistons.
  • Swell Control Type: Balanced swell shoes/pedals.
  • Pedalboard Type: Flat straight pedalboard.
  • Has Combination Action Thumb Pistons
We received the most recent update for this console from Jim Stettner on December 09, 2021.
Jim Stettner on December 09, 2021:

From the "Our History" section of the parish website -- "The church building at 4th and Jefferson was sold and the funds were used for the new building.

The architects, John Bennes and E. E. McClaran, used the Akron model. Allen of Portland was the builder. Church members helped build the church including teams of members that laid the bricks. The building cost $18,600 including the steam heat and the 61 stained glass windows and 4 large memorial windows comprising 827 square feet of stained glass. The stained glass windows were created by the Povey Bros. Studio of Portland, Oregon. With the cost of the organ at $5,000, furnishings, the total cost went up to $25,000.

The new building at 8th and Monroe was completed and dedicated in October 1910.

The building housed the first pipe organ in Corvallis (the fourth in the state [Editor's Note: This is errant. There were at least 32 pipe organs pre-dating the 1910 Kimball] ). The Kimball organ had 1000 pipes. It was dedicated in 1910 with a community concert. The organ recital that year was considered the beginning of our church as a center for music and other community events.

We received the most recent update for this note from Jim Stettner on December 12, 2021.

Jim Stettner on December 09, 2021:

This entry represents the installation of a new pipe organ, based on documented extant pipework in a new organ at the same church, and online church history and photos. The organ was electrified sometime after 1955. In 1976, Balcom and Vaughan of Seattle, Washington replaced the Kimball with a new 3-manual instrument retaining 11-or-so ranks.

We received the most recent update for this note from Jim Stettner on December 12, 2021.

Instrument Images:

Church exterior: Photograph from an archival source: Vintage postcard, submitted by Jim Stettner. Taken approx. 1910's

Organ at the front of the church: Photograph from an archival source: Parish website, "Our History", submitted by Jim Stettner. Taken approx. 1920

Organ case in the front: Photograph from an archival source: Parish website, "Our History", submitted by Jim Stettner. Taken approx. 1944

Organ case from the side [cropped]: Photograph from an archival source: Parish website, "Our History", submitted by Jim Stettner. Taken approx. 1955

Keydesk [cropped]: Photograph from an archival source: Parish website, "Our History", submitted by Jim Stettner. Taken approx. 1955

This instrument has been viewed 224 times.