The organ's early history has not been uncovered. In 1946 it was removed from the Presbyterian Church, Leesburg, Va., and put in storage. The Old Presbyterian Meeting House, Alexandria, Va., upon recommendation of Barbara J. Owen, bought it in 1956 for $500 from Lewis & Hitchcock, Inc., Washington. In 1962 Cleveland Fisher move it from the Meeting House's Flouder House to its present location. At that time, in addition to replacing the flute with a fifteenth, the principal was brightened; also, the swell-shade panel with its hold-down pedal was left off, as well as two foot levers, of which one drew both 4' stops and the other canceled them. Since that time members of the church have refinished the case. Heresay at Leesburg states that it came there from Trinity Episcopal Church, Shepherdstown, W. Va., but parishioners at this latter church confound it with legends of the "Port Royal" organ, now in the Smithsonian Institution.
M arks found on the organ : Low CC, principal pipe : Eider's No. 2 Tenor F, flute pipe : John E. Ayres / 1851 Tenor F, open diapason pipe : 1 851 / G. W. Osler / 2m Scale ( with a 3 scratched over the 2) . Tenor F, dulciana pipe : Organ No. 1 / 3d Scale Half, wood-dummy case pipe left of center : E F - - - - Sept 24 - 1861 Center case pipe : A Linden 1853 Inside, right upper panel, addressed : C. W. Andrews / Kerneysville (This would be Kearneysville, W. Va.) Shipping tag, underside of case top, addressed:]. L. Lupton / Point Rocks, Md. -- 1964 OHS Handbook
The original builder was Henry Erben (1851).
From Old Presbyterian Meeting House, Alexandria, VA in 1962. Moved here and altered by Cleveland Fisher. Moved before 1993 to Ira B. Faidley residence, McLean, VA. [James Baird in 1969 was to place a 2-7 Hook & Hastings here, in addition to the Erben. Did this ever happen? (BOC 45:8)]
The database contains no images for this instrument. If you have some, please share them using the update entry button on this page.